The baseball field at Ohio University's Bob Wren Stadium, Feb. 26, 2024, in Athens.

Baseball: What to know for Ohio’s matchup with Youngstown State

Ohio (3-6) will face off against Youngstown State (0-9) in a weeknight in-state battle Tuesday. After losing its home opening series against UIC, Ohio will look to bounce back with a win against a struggling Youngstown State team.

Game Information

Opponent: Youngstown State

Location: Bob Wren Stadium

Time: Tuesday, March 5th at 4 p.m. 

Follow live stats here

Meet the Opponent

Head Coach: Dan Bertolini (8th season)

Statistical Leaders 

ERA: Ulrich (6.59 ERA)

Strikeouts: Ulrich (10)

Batting Average: Alejandro Covas (.320)

Doubles: Derrick Tarpley Jr. (2)

RBI: Trey Law, Tarpley Jr. (4)

Walks: Ian Francis (5)

Home Runs: Teddy Ruffner (2)

Youngstown State Notes

Youngstown State’s first nine games could not have gone worse. The Penguins are still looking for their first win of the season after being swept in consecutive series against Texas State, Charleston and Louisville. 

To make matters worse, the most amount of runs they have scored in a game this season is just five in a game where Charleston put up 14 runs. 

Youngstown State has also been prone to giving up gaudy scoring numbers to its opponents as well. Twice this season, the Penguins have given up 19 or more runs in a game and they have lost by eight runs or more six times this season. 

Player to Watch: Gideon Antle

Antle has been on fire to start the year for Ohio, keeping up his hot streak with a solo home run in the second game of Ohio’s Saturday doubleheader against UIC. Antle currently boasts a .513 batting average, good for second in the Mid-American Conference. 

Antle is also leading the MAC in OPS and slugging percentage while being a hit short of tying the MAC lead for total hits. 

@CharlieFadel

cf111322@ohio.edu