Students discuss drawing factors to OU’s popular majors

Ohio University’s 250+ programs across nine colleges provide a diverse palette of subjects to explore during undergraduate education. When making a college decision, many students tend to account for the quality of their prospective program of study.

Gabrielle Dozer, a junior studying nursing, mentioned the program’s faculty was a drawing factor. 

“The professors really stuck out to me,” Dozer said. “It’s hard because you’re in a big class with sometimes over 100 people depending on the class, but (the faculty is) still really good about being intentional.” 

OU’s nursing program is the most popular major for undergraduates, with 31% of 2022 graduates earning a degree in registered nursing, according to U.S. News. The program is currently ranked as the #1 nursing school in Ohio by Niche.

Dozer is also serving in the military and mentioned the nursing faculty was supportive in helping her stay on track with courses.

“I had to take a break for a year with nursing, but a lot of (faculty) worked very well with me when I was leaving, coming back and transitioning,” Dozer said. “They’ve all been really respectful and willing to work with me, which was something I very much appreciated.”

Along with being open to accommodations, Dozer also mentioned that the hands-on experiences the nursing program offers were a drawing factor for her.

“My clinical instructors have been phenomenal,” Dozer said. “In explaining whatever I have to do, whether it’s putting in catheters or IVs, they’re really good with words and helping me calm down.”

Dozer is not the only student drawn to OU because of experiential learning opportunities.

Jaidyn Hughes, a freshman studying biological sciences and Spanish, decided to go to OU because of the conservation and wildlife opportunities available.

“All of my general education courses are still in line with what I want to do with my career,” said Hughes. “I never feel like I’m wasting time with any of my classes here. I’ll get so much hands-on experience, especially starting next year. I think I’ll be honestly, overqualified.”

Aside from students undecided in their majors, biological sciences was the most populated admitted field of study during the 2022 Fall Semester with 348 students enrolling, according to OU’s website.

Hughes mentioned that the biological sciences program was not the only drawing factor to OU for her and she fell in love with the campus location as well.

“My grandma has been telling me since I’ve been 5 years old that when I go to college, I need to be at least two hours away from home because that’s how you grow as a person,” Hughes said. 

Another popular major at OU, journalism, also attracts students because of experiential learning opportunities outside of coursework. 

“I really like public speaking so I came onto the news and information track to get more experience with WOUB and Newswatch,” said Paige Mountain, a freshman studying journalism. “(OU’s) journalism program is so good, so I just kind of figured it’s a good way to start a career.”

Journalism was the fifth-most enrolled major for the 2022 Fall Semester first-year class, with 140 students. OU’s E.W. Scripps School of Journalism was ranked #4 in College Magazine’s best schools for aspiring editors in 2023.

Aside from the strong programs offered at OU, Mountain also mentions the campus itself being a drawing factor when touring the school. 

“Coming here, I just kind of felt like this is where I’m meant to (be),” Mountain said.

In addition to being attracted to the college initially for their field of studies, students share a feeling of belonging and satisfaction with their college decision.

“It’s such a gorgeous campus, my dad calls it a ‘Jaidyn-campus,’” Hughes said. “It’s just such a beautiful place. I love it.”

dh390522@ohio.edu

@dishahoque05