Tierra Whack self-reflects on 'WORLD WIDE WHACK'

Tierra Whack is no stranger to living up to the wackiness inherent to her name. The Philadelphia native first popped onto the scene in 2018 with her short but authentic debut, "Whack World." Clocking in at only 15 minutes, the mixtape felt like an adult coloring book, fully embracing its childlike and whimsical roots.

Whack definitely made her mark in rap with her debut, and her inventive style can still be felt with subsequent releases. A few interconnected EPs, work on the "Creed III" (2023) soundtrack and collaborations with Melanie Martinez and Beyoncé explored a variety of genres, such as R&B and pop. Those sparse projects filled fans' void between full-length conceptual projects. But nearly six years later, Whack released her long-awaited debut album, titled "WORLD WIDE WHACK," on March 3.

Full of the unique flow inspired by Dr. Seuss, from her debut, "WORLD WIDE WHACK," explores a deeper level of Whack's psyche in all its eccentric glory. "Whack World" was a glimpse into a childlike retrospection, but "WORLD WIDE WHACK" transports listeners to Whack's more mature state of mind. The album plays for roughly 38 minutes, more than double her first project's runtime. While the short but effective constraints of "Whack World" were pivotal to its success, the extended length of her 2024 release allows Whack to evolve her sound through genre-spanning tunes.

The album's opener, "MOOD SWING," starts with the lyrics "I been trying new things." Not only is it a nod to her growing success as an artist, but highlights her shifting focus on being emotionally blunt in later tracks. "MS BEHAVE" feels like an unreleased Missy Elliott jam because of its engaging percussion. As Whack raps about a newfound charisma as an artist, you cannot help but feel enticed to dance to Whack's varied vocal stylings.

"NUMB" departs from the more self-supportive themes as Whack recounts her lifelong depression. She regrets the life she has missed out on, with lyrics like, "Tell me what could I have done different," while speaking on her suicidal thoughts. She raps, "My wounds are still open" over the track's slower instrumentals.

Akin to its title, "DIFFICULT" explores similar themes as Whack intersperses the line "life is difficult" throughout its chorus. An acoustic guitar brings a personal relatability to the track, making listeners feel like Whack is singing this tune directly to them. 

"X" and "ACCESSIBLE," though separated in the track listing, are partner songs in subject matter. "X" plays on an ex-lover in its title as the track's two characters are incompatible with one another. Whack raps, "I think that we should separate from each other" in the first verse before returning to the stadium-sounding chant of "X's" chorus. 

"ACCESSIBLE" essentially calls out an employment rejection because of "You're way too accessible and that's not acceptable." However, Whack reverses the negativity in the pre-chorus, stating, "I ain't ever too pressed, I'm too blеssed, I'm a don."

Whack does something unique to her vocals in "BURNING BRAINS." While recounting a headache she's had, the words quickly become smushed together to express a brain-fried quality. "MOOVIES" traverses into the pop atmosphere in its disco-infused splendor. Describing a date to the movies, Whack takes listeners through a mesmerizing groove of details about a long-awaited trip.

Despite its more straightforward identity, "Whack World" is still present in this evolved album. "SHOWER SONG" sees Whack rap atop a jazz funk beat about the wonderful acoustics of a steamy bathroom. She harkens her vocals to singers like Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston in a cheeky reference to prominent pop icons.

Apart from its playful title, "IMAGINARY FRIENDS" can be seen as an extension of her debut's fanciful nature. Supported by a dreamscape instrumental, Whack struggles with the authenticity of a situationship she's found herself in. While exploring further themes of suicide once she "grows up," she also questions her partner: "They say you're a conspiracy, maybe they're right."

The final two songs follow through with Whack's lyrical exploration of her depression, often in a satirical manner. "TWO NIGHT" is filled with lines such as, "But before I go, want to let you know, I didn't pay the light bill this month" and "My last meal might be chicken and fries, I'm black so you should not be surprised." Whack plays with self-deprecating elements in this track while giving listeners the harsh reality of death.

"27 CLUB" sheds light on the tragic phenomenon of the deaths of high-risk artists at the age of 27. Whack, who is 28 at the time of the album's release, frees herself from her suicidal ideations. She repeats "suicide" in the chorus and underlines the term's colloquial acceptance in society through a reference to "suicide runs" by athletic coaches. As the song comes to a close, Whack tells listeners she's not letting depression overtake herself in the closing track's lullaby melodic tone.

Through its authentic contemplations of suicidal thoughts and depression overtop a mixture of genres and styles, Whack brings an unexpected follow-up to her debut mixtape. Some may see it as a massive departure from her signature eccentricism, but "WORLD WIDE WHACK" is a greatly appreciated evolution of Whack's discography.

tb222023@ohio.edu