Trisha Paytas' digital footprint sparks controversy, shocks viewers

At just 35 years old, media personality Trisha Paytas has had a diverse career in the entertainment industry. Most prominently known for her YouTube career and reality television appearances, Paytas continues to fascinate viewers with her niche hobbies and history. 

Let’s take a look at Paytas’ controversial background and many lives on the internet: 

Recently, Paytas appeared on Alex Cooper’s podcast “Call Her Daddy,” and casually mentioned that she had been kidnapped “a bunch of times,” shocking even long-time fans. 

Paytas’ peculiar past is even more complex than many people know. During the early stages of her career, Paytas attempted to break the record for the world’s fastest talker. In 2010, Paytas posted videos on YouTube working to break the record of 637 words per minute, clocking herself at 650 words per minute. Later that year, she appeared on “The Ellen Show” when she was pulled from the audience to show off her talent. In 2013, her fast-talking was featured on “Guinness World Records Unleashed” and “Good Morning America.”

Paytas also appeared on an episode of “My Strange Addiction” in 2010 for her addiction to self-tanning and a 2013 episode of “Dr. Phil” titled “Girls Who Bash Girls Who Dress Sexy.” 

In her professional career, Paytas has had jobs acting, modeling and content-creating. She has worked as a lingerie model and appeared on shows like “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno and “Who Wants to be a Superhero?” with Stan Lee. She’s also been in several music videos, such as Eminem’s “We Made You.” In her 2011 resume, she also notes that she can play the banjo and has a second-degree black belt in tae kwon do. 

On her YouTube channel, “blndsundoll4mj”, Paytas posts videos ranging from “mukbangs,” in which she eats excessive amounts of food, music videos and cooking videos. 

In 2012, Paytas also posted about her faith on a YouTube channel titled “thecatholicvlogger.” On the channel, which only has three videos, Paytas described herself as “a stripper who repented and was forgiven by God and accepted back into the Catholic faith.”

In 2017, Paytas released a Christian pop song titled “I Love You Jesus.” Since then, the star has been criticized for appropriating and fetishizing religions like Paganism, Judaism and Hare Krishna.

Paytas has always had a public dating life and has spoken about past flings with actor Roger Bart, WWE wrestler Dolph Zigger and singer Aaron Carter. From 2017 to 2019, Paytas had a public relationship with YouTuber Jason Nash. In 2020, Paytas became engaged to her husband, Moses Hacmon, who encouraged her to embrace Jewish practices.

After welcoming their first childMalibu Barbie, in 2022, Paytas shared on YouTube that they would be raising their kids, including their second baby, who is expected in May, with a combination of religious traditions and ideals. 

In addition to shifting religious identities, Paytas has been criticized for her gender identity, too. In 2019, the star stated that she was “1000% transgender.” However, she identified with her “natural born identity” and as a “drag queen.” The now-deleted video received backlash from many transgender and non-binary viewers, accusing her of exploiting the LGBTQIA+ community for attention. 

Since then, Paytas has apologized and alternated using the pronouns he/him and they/them. Most recently, in April of 2021, Paytas announced that she identified as non-binary and used all pronouns. 

Another controversy resulted from a video Paytas posted in 2020 in which she self-diagnosed herself with Disassociative Identity Disorder (DID), claiming that she has several personalities named T, Trixie, Tyson, Tierney and Tobolter. In the video, Paytas criticized YouTuber Chloe Wilkinson’s channel, which is dedicated to spreading awareness about DID, by calling her “crazy.”

Trisha Paytas’ list of controversies seems endless. She has also been involved in dramas surrounding David DobrikShane Dawson, Jeffree Star and James Charles, to name a few.

Throughout her career, she’s faced backlash for being racially and culturally insensitive, politically incorrect and tone-deaf. In 2020, for example, she became a meme when she posted a TikTok video of herself in an Egyptian-inspired costume dancing to “King Tut” by Steve Martin along with the caption “(W)ill prob delete. Prob offensive,” which sparked criticism from viewers. 

Recently, Trisha has been posting videos on her TikTok account, @trishlikefish88, in which she acts as a part-fairy bar wench at a Scottish tavern, shares family content, gives brief life updates and promotes her podcast, “Just Trish,” in which she comments on influencer drama. 

kenziecake8

kc389422@ohio.edu