Grace Abroad: Differences in US, UK travel

Recently, I've been booking many trips inside and outside the U.K. for my upcoming spring break. During the planning stages of finding flights, hostels and other transportation, I was skeptical. I thought it'd be way more expensive and simply harder to find places to go.

However, I was mistaken. Unlike the U.S., traveling inside and outside the U.K. is affordable and something everyone should consider if studying abroad. Here are the major differences I noticed with traveling so far:

Flights run at affordable prices for students

With a restrictive student budget, there are many airlines in the U.K. that make buying plane tickets a reasonable investment. If you use airlines like Ryanair or easyJet, you can usually find one-way flights starting at £20. I recently booked a one-way flight to Madrid through Ryanair, which cost me $25.44. 

However, similar to the U.S., you must be aware of increasing flight prices, especially during spring break. Now, the same flight I booked has increased to £195.97 or $249.28. For study-abroad students, I'd recommend booking flights early if you know where you want to travel, as I booked many of my flights in early February to avoid inflated prices.

Airport security is less time-consuming

It's a lot easier to get through security and customs in the U.K. than it is in the U.S. Obviously, the U.S. has had to heighten its security measures after terrorist attacks like 9/11, going to great lengths to ensure the safety of travelers. The U.K. also takes security very seriously but has somehow mastered decreasing the time it takes to scan personal items and walk through metal detectors. 

On another note, I went to Italy a few weeks ago and was shocked at how fast I got through customs. All I had to do was scan my passport and then get it stamped, which took a mere five minutes. It lowered a lot of my anxiety about going through security while also making the process super efficient. When I returned to the U.K., it took the same amount of time.

Delays are more prominent when taking buses or trains

Unlike flying, taking a bus or train to a specific destination in the U.K. can be extremely stressful due to prominent delays. When making my trek to Bristol Airport before traveling to Italy, there were many last-minute delays with my connecting train from Cardiff to Bristol. If I hadn't left early for my trip, I definitely would've missed my flight. 

For first-time travelers, I'd recommend getting to your bus or train stop at least half an hour early to avoid delays. I'd also suggest taking a taxi and splitting it with other travelers if your bus or train does not show up on time. While taking a bus or train can be a fun tourist thing to do, you don't want to miss out on your travel experience or waste money on a missed opportunity.

Register your credit or debit card when visiting other countries

In the U.S., you don't have to register your credit or debit card when visiting other states, but in the U.K. you do. You should also do this in any country you're visiting outside of the U.K. so you can pay for essentials such as meals and drinks. You should download your credit or debit card provider's app, and there's usually a section on the app that lets you log travel information.

Overall, this saves a lot of time and awkwardness when visiting new places. While it's much easier not to worry about paying for things in the U.S. with your card of choice, it's a bigger thing to consider in the U.K.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu