Mary Elizabeth Miles, Interim Vice President for Human Resources, reveals the HR department will now reside in Grosvenor Hall.

OU holds third university updates event, announces new mission statement

Ohio University held its third university updates session Thursday morning to provide the public with news about some of the initiatives OU President Lori Stewart Gonzalez and university leadership are working on.

Gonzalez opened the session with an update on the university’s search for a vice president of research and creative activity and provost. Gonzalez said the search committee for the vice president of advancement is expected to be announced on Monday, before introducing the university advancement team as the first presenters. 

Major Alston, senior associate vice president for university engagement, began his presentation by introducing the four functional areas of advancement: development, foundation, alumni and services. He also discussed university engagement’s strategic priorities and building and maximizing philanthropic support.

“Distributing constituent engagement outreach to drive financial stability and operational excellence, I think that is paramount for us,” Alston said.

The second presenter was the Interim Vice President for Human Resources, Mary Elizabeth Miles. 

Miles highlighted the Employee Assistance Program, or EAP, and Health Navigator as resources and services HR offers that are underutilized by university employees.  

EAP is offered through IMPACT Solutions and is available to OU employees, spouses, dependents, household members, parents and parents-in-law. EAP provides counseling services and assistance with childcare, eldercare, pet care, financial and legal matters, educational needs and daily living. 

Miles also announced that Grosvenor Hall’s West Wing will house the HR department starting this summer. 

Julie Cormer, Director of Athletics, discussed the students who participate and contribute to the athletic department without playing a sport. She said over 200 students are responsible for putting on the football game days every season. She highlighted the athletic department’s partnership with the Scripps School of Communication as one of the unique opportunities the department provides to give students the opportunity for specialized, professional experiences. 

Robin Oliver, vice president for University Communications and Marketing, shared the draft of the university’s new mission statement and vision. 

“Our mission: to hold the door open to higher education so that all those eager to solve humanity’s most urgent challenges might enter to learn, connecting them with experiences and discovery that will help them think critically, care deeply, lead boldly and ultimately depart to serve,” Oliver said. 

The new vision statement is “to deliver the most valuable university education in Ohio, and lead as one of the most valued public universities in the nation,” Oliver said. 

The new mission and vision statements will be finalized in June at the Board of Trustees meeting. 

et029322@ohio.edu