Rosalie James pays homage to modern indie rock legends

Rosalie James is a Cornwall-based British multi-instrumentalist and singer-songwriter with a new single, "Girl I Was." James' musical style is characterized by brutally honest lyrics, hooking melodies and a powerful, soulful voice. 

James grew up playing piano and guitar and listening to The Beatles and The Bangles. She was inspired by the drama of '80s synth-pop and new wave and the lyrics of '90s dream pop and indie artists. She earned two degrees and spent a decade as a social worker before deciding it was time to pursue her creative roots in June 2023. 

Her focus in social work was social care and mental health, a passion that continued to thrive as she pursued music. Her work raises awareness and reduces stigma for subjects like neurodiversity, domestic violence, addiction and mental health. The artist recently raised £5,000 ($6325) in 28 days with a Kickstarter campaign fueled by a short video of her song clips. 

James' music is emblematic of classic songwriters like Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Carole King, Kate Bush and Fleetwood Mac. However, her work is also similar to progressive and emotional indie artists like Conor Oberst, Elliot Smith, Sharon Van Etten, Angel Olsen, Bon Iver, and The National. 

In the summer of 2023, James played various festivals, supported Ben Waters, a top U.K. pianist, at Mylor Sessions and appeared for interviews on Radio Cornwall. The artist's previous singles, "Will We Ever Rest?" and her cover of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill," received additions to BBC Introducing South West and were met with positive audience responses. Her songs have previously been featured on U.K. primetime soap opera "Hollyoaks," as well as U.S. drama "The Black Donnellys." 

"Will We Ever Rest?" starts slow, with a steady build of dramatic drums and an inexplicable blend of ethereal instruments. Her entrancing vocals match the instruments beautifully. She has such impressive control over her voice, and she seems to keep the pace of the song reserved so as to string the audience along in an engaged rapture. The bridge shifts the delicate and deliberate melody into an urgent ending. 

James' cover of "Running Up That Hill" is a moving rendition of the iconic track. The artist simplifies the original version into a simple piano accompaniment and allows the power of her voice to act as the highlight. Her crisp and clear belting tones are impressive and never sound forced. Each note is packed with emotion and intention and pays notable tribute to the song's original singer while maintaining unique vocal intricacies. 

James' newest single, "Girl I Was," is an honest narrative chronicling the artist's experience in an abusive relationship and the toxicity of having one's power taken away. The song was produced by Daeil Knowles (Sharon Van Etten), an influence that certainly shines through in the song's raw, indie rock energy. The drumming is similar to The National's, and the lyrical structure aligns with some of the artist's aforementioned influences. Her persistent lyrics never cease throughout the verses and each line packs a deeply personal punch. 

"There is so much I want to say, and the depths of terminal sadness and fleeting joy can only be properly expressed through music -- any other form of communication is corrupted by confusion and doubt," James said in a news release. "Maybe feeling too much is actually feeling exactly the right amount when you're trying to make something meaningful. Anyway, I can't stop now." 

"Girl I Was" is the lead single off of James' upcoming album, "Full of Chemicals." The album will share the artist's story of living with sensory sensitivity and difficulties managing her emotions from a young age. After years of misdiagnosis, James was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder in January 2023. Her upcoming album will explore this aspect of her life through a combination of dream pop, indie rock and Americana. 

The album has additional significance for James because it was recorded in California, where her father lived in the '70s as a stage manager, roadie and lighting engineer for Grateful Dead, Wings, Santana and The Tubes. After hearing about the American West Coast her whole life, James has become one of the countless artists to record in California as a part of her full-circle narrative. 

"Girl I Was" is just one of hundreds of songs written by the prolific songwriter. Her extensive personal catalog of songs will help her create her future albums and have already contributed to her upcoming record.  

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu