Gen Z approaches dating with new expectations

Dating apps, situationships, rules, theories — love in the modern era has gotten infinitely harder. Generation Z is approaching love very differently. 

According to a survey by the New Pluralists Collaborative, 28% of Gen Z in America identify as LGBTQ+. While this might not seem like a large percentage, this is nearly double the amount of millennials that identify with the group (16%), quadruple the amount of Gen X (7%) and seven times the amount of baby boomers (4%). This indicates that a larger number of queer people are "on the market," creating a different dating landscape in which heterosexuality is not an assumed default. 

There is also a trend of struggling to form formal relationships among Gen Z. Only 56% of Gen Z adults stated that they had had a romantic partner as a teenager. For context, 69% of millennials and 76% of Gen X were in relationships at least once during their teenage years. 

Not only are people less likely to be in a relationship, but they are also less likely to want to start a relationship. A report from the dating app Hinge stated that 56% of Gen Z users are so worried about rejection that they miss their chances with a potential partner. The report ties this newfound anxiety to the COVID-19 pandemic, during which many members of Gen Z came of age. Reaching adulthood during such a turbulent time caused a spike in anxiety for many, with the World Health Organization reporting a 25% increase in cases. The Hinge report reflects this, stating that Gen Z is 47% more likely to say the pandemic made them more nervous when it comes to talking to people. 

Relationships and dating have also become undeniably expensive. In an era of high inflation rates and stagnant wages, many members of Gen Z are finding that dating has begun to cost too much money. Additionally, many seek financial stability before adding another person into the mix.

Cultural attitudes surrounding committed relationships have also shifted. Casual dating, or dating without a long-term goal, has become much more socially acceptable, with roughly 50% of adults engaging in a non-monogamous casual relationship at some point in their lives. Dating is now as much about having fun and learning what you like as it is about finding a long-term partner. 

This casual attitude toward dating has also given rise to situationships. Situationships are a type of relationship between two people that sits in the gray area between friendship and romantic partnership. 

Some have found that situationships allow two people to explore their sexualities and what they want in a relationship without labels. It can also be fun and enjoyable for those who aren't sure what a future together may hold, be it through extraneous circumstances or simply not knowing if you want the relationship to continue.

However, situationships also come with countless drawbacks. Often, many people are not on the same page about what they want or how they feel, leading to mismatched expectations and hurt feelings. Alongside this, feelings of anxiety often stem from the amount of uncertainty in situationships. In short, while an undefined, label-free relationship can be fun, there is a price to pay. 

TikTok has also greatly impacted the way young people perceive romance. Countless dating "rules" and "theories" have been discussed on TikTok by young adults and teenagers with little experience. For example, "orange peel theory" has been making the rounds on the app, where someone "tests" their partner's love for them by seeing if they'll peel an orange for them without asking. While many have taken issue with the idea of testing a partner, many have also tried it.

Similarly, the "first love theory" has been on the app for a while. In short, it states that men will always love their first love more than anyone they enter a relationship with. This then implies that dating and love afterward is pointless, which is simply not true. These rules and theories ultimately contribute to a more rigid culture regarding dating, which is incompatible for a generation so heavily in favor of bending the rules and getting rid of labels and tradition. 

Gen Z is ultimately changing how people see the dating landscape, for better or worse. 

@alicia_szcz

as589820@ohio.edu