Letter to the Editor: OU policymakers, faculty need to address safety, accessibility concerns

Dear Editor,

My name is Amelia Shearon, and I am a first-year student here at Ohio University currently studying communications. I am writing to urge school policymakers and faculty members to address the safety and accessibility concerns on campus. I am troubled by the obvious negligence of an issue that many students face due to a lack of crosswalks and uneven pavements.

Many students must walk up the bridge that is on West Green to get to some classes, specifically Bentley Hall or even the Brick City Deli food truck. To get to these places, students walking up the bridge are forced to walk across a two-lane road, where most cars are speeding. This causes students to have to time when to cross the road because there is no crosswalk available. This raises safety concerns for me and my classmates who must deal with this danger every day. I have personally seen cars almost hit students because of speeding and students not looking before crossing. Adding a crosswalk would prevent any accidents from happening and would help with cars speeding since they will have to look out for students. A lot of students struggle to get to class on time, and by adding a crosswalk students will be able to cross when they push the crosswalk button instead of waiting for a pause between cars.

Along with needing more crosswalks, we also have a lot of uneven pavements and bricks, and this is not accessible for students who may need accommodations. Those who are in wheelchairs or have a physical disability may have a laborious time getting around campus. Everyone loves the bricks here in Athens, but they are old and deteriorating, which causes a bigger problem. By evening out the pavement and replacing old bricks that are becoming uneven, students and people of all abilities will be able to comfortably get around campus without hassle. Our campus is beautiful, and I love the historic look the bricks give our campus, but no one should sacrifice their accommodations for beauty. By fixing these issues Ohio University will be a home away from home for every student.

Thanking you,

Amelia Shearon