Students spring forward with new fashion trends

Spring has officially sprung for Ohio University students, which means it is time to put the big old chunky sweater back in the winter closet and break out the floral and fun pieces for spring.

A new spring wardrobe is always something exciting to look forward to. A new sense of style along with a new season is often a remedy for change and something to look forward to as the winter months turn into summer. 

Whether through long flowy skirts, a nice comfortable pair of overalls or the reliable combination of socks and sandals, students are happy to see those new spring trends arrive on campus. With less than two weeks left of school, students say it feels nice to finally look forward to summer and feel the difference in the air. 

Lexie Watson, a junior studying communications, said one of the trends she is excited to see return are the longer-cut jean shorts. She said the sort of baggy look calls for an adorable outfit. She said she also enjoys low-rise jeans but that her favorite trend of the moment is seeing a lot of bows. 

She said the bows call for a very cute look and make her feel joyful and in a lively mood. 

“I think it's just so cute, and it makes me feel more girly and playful,” she said. 

She said her go-to outfit for the spring was wearing a light gray pair of yoga pants with a white tank top, a pair of Birkenstocks and a jean jacket. 

Molly Griffiths, a sophomore studying communications, said she enjoys seeing a lot of baggier clothes in the summer as she often feels uncomfortable in smaller jean shorts. 

“I personally think the shorter jean shorts are super uncomfortable and I’m glad that our generation is more into baggy comfortable clothing for warm weather,” she said. 

Griffiths said another style she enjoys is seeing long flowy skirts; the skirts can be dressed up or dressed down in a very versatile way. People can also find skirts in various locations, no matter someone’s budget or style. 

“I feel like there’s so many different ones you can find at thrift stores and stuff and different prints and I think everyone has their own way of doing it,” she said. 

Alexa Lee, an incoming freshman planning to study outdoor recreation and education, said her favorite trend by far has been wearing a pair of overalls. 

“I’ve always been an overall fan,” she said. “I feel like they’ve sort of become more mainstream. I just love them because they look like you’re ready to go out into a field of flowers and have a picnic and frolic.” 

She said something she looks forward to seeing in the summer are thread hair wraps and a nice pair of Tevas or Chacos. 

Stella Wood, a junior studying communications, said although it is not a trend specific to spring itself, she really enjoys athletic wear and looking cute in a casual and comfortable tennis skirt or athletic dress. 

“I love the comfort level in the fact of how versatile it is,” she said. “I can go to class and then go to a workout and go on a walk right after not having to go home and change.” 

Nichole Collins, a senior at Alexander High School in Albany, said socks and sandals have really had a grip on her recently and that she wears them very often. 

She said one of the things she enjoys most about them is their comfort and style. 

“It’s comfy and there’s just something a little bit niche about it,” Collins said. “It’s just cute. It’s cute and comfy.” 

@gabriellecab1

gc183621@ohio.edu