Talking Points with Taylor: Sustainable lifestyles make smarter consumers

When I hear the word “sustainability,” I associate it with things like the environment, businesses, materials, repurposing and health. That is because sustainability has become an incredibly popular term in the environmental science world and business world. Most large corporations have some kind of sustainability or environmental commitment page on their websites because they understand sustainability is an important consideration for consumers.

But as much as we might associate the word itself and the practice of sustainability with the environment, sustainability is just as beneficial for people. Since becoming mindful of my impact on the planet, I have become more connected to the purchasing processes and a smarter consumer.

Shortly over two years ago, I decided to keep sustainability at the forefront of my mind in all aspects of my life. I started thinking about how much plastic I throw away in a day, the materials in my clothes, where I buy my products from and where the products are actually produced. In doing so, I have made positive lifestyle changes.

So far, the biggest change I have made in trying to be more sustainable is how and where I purchase clothes. I have always loved fashion and dressing in ways that make me feel creative and confident. In high school and even at the beginning of college, I felt pressured to keep up with rapidly changing fashion trends. That meant shopping mostly at fast-fashion retailers, who are largely responsible for the 20% of global wastewater generated by the fashion industry.

But I realized it's impossible to keep up with those trends. Instead, I only buy new clothes that I absolutely need, and I buy pieces that I know will last a long time. For example, I just bought business-professional clothes for an upcoming internship, and I will use those pieces throughout my professional career.

Otherwise, I try to shop second-hand at thrift stores and garage sales. Not only am I repurposing clothes, but I have fun doing it; I have found my favorite pieces second-hand shopping. I still feel creative in what I wear, but now I also feel content knowing I have reused materials.

I have also changed the types of products I buy based on the waste they generate. For example, I swapped my makeup wipes for micellar water and reusable cloths. For the products I know will inevitably come in plastic, such as detergent and shampoo, I buy in bulk (I have not made the jump to bar shampoo yet, but I encourage you to check it out).

Overall, I have saved money because I am buying less and repurposing when I can. I used to get drive-thru coffees in disposable cups every morning. Now, I mostly make my coffee at home, and when I do decide I want one, I try to support local coffee shops, especially those with sustainably sourced coffee beans such as Donkey Coffee or Court Street Coffee

In trying to live sustainably, I have connected with the Athens community more. I have bought delicious produce from the Athens Farmers Market, walked the beautiful bike path countless times and shopped locally at stores like Kindred Market.

People often point out that it is large corporations that must be responsible for making their products more sustainable. That is true, corporations need to hold themselves accountable, but we are responsible for the products we choose to buy. Both producers and consumers must recognize that their actions have an impact.

The changes I have made make me feel fulfilled. Buying products used to feel like a thoughtless process, but now I feel far more connected to what I buy and why I’m buying it. I will continue looking for ways I can improve my consumption habits, not just for the planet, but for me, too.

Taylor Henninger is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. Do you agree? Tell Taylor by emailing her at th873120@ohio.edu