By Paul Meara

It was an exciting night for Ohio Bobcats swimming and diving. Almost every fan from the Ohio cheering section stayed long afterward to watch the team celebrate their 11th MAC Title. In terms of the experience though, it was the swimmers who were perhaps most excited.

“We’re all through the roof with excitement,” senior captain Kasey Tolbert said afterward ”It was a great feeling. I can’t even put it in words. We’re a family and when we’re out there, there’s nothing like cheering for you’re team.”

“It’s the best feeling in the world, we did it three years ago as well and it was something we always strived to to again and especially the senior class.” Said senior captain Amanda Cecere.

The Bobcats won their first MAC Championship since 2008 on Saturday night thanks in large part to the coaching of Greg Werner who won his fourth career MAC Championship. Not only that, the 16th year head coach of Ohio also took home MAC Coach of the Year but he will be the first to tell you that he wasn’t the only one who won the award.

“Well you know Coach of the Year is a funny award, it shouldn’t be called Coach of the Year, it should be called ‘Team of the Year,’ ‘Staff of the Year,’ it’s not an individual award by any means and that’s something I’m going to tell the team and tell the staff here and the parents and friends.” Said Werner.

Lindsay Hamilton also took home some hardware winning MAC Diver of the Year.

“It’s just a great feeling, unbelievable,” said Hamilton.

What about a MAC Championship next year?

“I’m going to be so bold as to say yes,” said Hamilton. “We have an incredible freshman class coming in next year, they should be exactly what we need and it should be really great.”

Ohio also could make a splash in the NCAA Championships as their time in the 400 Medley Relay qualified them for NCAA’s. Hamilton will also compete in the NCAA Zone Diving Meet and Rachel Heim is also expected to be selected to compete in the 100 Butterfly at the event. Other events will be close in terms of whether Ohio will be selected but the Bobcats should know soon whether they make it or not.

“It’s been a great season but especially the last three-and-a-half days,” said Werner. “It’s been a lot of fun.”