Last Friday, I talked with redshirt junior Nick Purdue for about an hour. Purdue practices around six in the morning instead of in the afternoon like the rest of the team, so, suffice it so say, I hadn't had a chance to interview him yet this season. We discussed a wide array of subjects ranging from his training to summer life in Athens to Ohio wrestling in general. Some of the interview was used in this feature in today's Post. But the vast majority of our discussion went unused in the article, so here are selected portions of our conversation.

On the difficulty of staying focused and disciplined in a party town like Athens

That’s another thing. This town, it’s a different animal. People don’t factor in that this town is crazier than any other town.

On Kent State's wrestling coach suggesting that OU is just a party school.

I take offense to that. I love this school. This is my job. I treat wrestling like my job.

Rush hour is frickin' 1:30 on Friday. You walk up a street past 30 bars. I definitely got priorities in order. It’s really how I feel.

On how intense the NCAA Championships are

It’s something as simple as, I didn’t bring my best to the national tournament by any means. I just didn’t have my best. What I’ve really tried to focus on this year is being able to put my best foot forward each time on the mat. The national tournament is about going seven minutes, consistently being able to have your mind in the right place. Wrestle the same way, use technique the same way, being able to do that over and over, it really wears on the body. That’s why the national tournament is so hard.

Like the national tournament is insane. 33 of the best guys in the country are there. Each match is a dogfight. So intense. Guys come to play. Guys come to go at it. Being there last year is just going to be a huge experience for me this year. Seeing the crowd. And getting the feel down. Now I know what to expect. I know what to expect now, I'm definitely gonna be ready for it.

On waiting for his match to start during a dual meet

Mentally it is so huge. Like the dual meets? There are 10 matches. I gotta watch six of my teammates go out one on one with another guy. And that gives you time to... a lot of thoughts go through your head. I try to keep my mind clear for that time. Negative energy comes in, negative thoughts come in. You just gotta steer away from that and keep your thinking positive. Stepping out one on one with a guy in The Convo is an adrelinane rush. It’s awesome. You versus another guy. Basketball is five on five. In a wrestling match, it’s just you and another guy.

His feelings on unofficial online rankings like Intermat

I really try to avoid paying attention to the rankings. Yeah, I’ve looked at them. Yeah, it kinda pisses me off that I’m not (wasn't) in the top-20 on Intermat. That shit’s whack, man. That shit's whack.

Paraphrased: I was talking to the coaches, and they were saying I probably have a better record (27-3) than a lot of the guys on there. That’s insane. That’s insanity. No way that should be like that. I don’t worry about it.

On coach Joel Greenlee

I love doing it. Part of it, I love doing it for Joel. Because he’s the man. He puts up with so much shit. He's got 30 twenty year old kids to watch after. Make sure there's no trouble, they're going to class. He is the man, and I do what I do for him. I honestly believe I wouldn’t be wrestling in Division I if I wasn’t here at this school. Because I just need that kind of coach. Joel’s got my back.

The relationship I have with him is just fantastic. Our two assistant coaches, too. You've been in the wrestling room. It's hilarious. We’ve kind of just become like a family. It’s so special to me. It's fun to be a part of.

On his role as a team leader

Next year it’s gonna be my team. This year it’s G’s team. He’s the returning All-American. But I think I have the ear of a lot of the guys. And they look up to me. I really try to lead. I’m so excited. I love seeing young guys turn in to what they’re supposed to be.