Click here for original story. Scroll down for extra multimedia (photos and video by Nathaniel Maund).

Tyler Backstrom likes to tamp, especially after a bad game, when he can take his anger out on the dirt. Taylor Emody likes to walk around the infield and pick up chunks of clay. Wes O'Neill would just prefer not to do any of it.

This is the life of college baseball and softball players. Before or after any game or practice at Bob Wren Stadium, the Bobcats cease to be players and turn into landscapers.

Keeping the field of Bob Wren in prime condition is just part of the gig for the players. Below are my conversations with Backstrom, O'Neill and Emody that didn't fit in the original article.

Backstrom on the quality of the field at Bob Wren Stadium:

We take care of the field. It’s one of the best fields I’ve ever played on. Across the nation even playing summer ball, playing other teams, playing at other places, this is by far one of the best fields I’ve ever seen, and we work really hard to maintain it. 

On his daily responsibilities:

Depending on my mood on the day, sometimes I work on first base, raking first base. Other days I help with the mound, other days I pick up dirt and stuff. Usually I’m working on first base, maintaining that over there. It’s pretty crucial because, you have to have the dirt in front of first base pretty solid, so that when someone steps out to stretch for a ball, they don’t slip. 

On his favorite job:

I like tamping, I like taking my anger out on the tamp. After a bad game or a bad practice I like tamping actually. The hose is fun, but our coaches know better than that because we’re not responsible enough to do it. The hose is definitely the most fun job to have. 

On working on the mound: 

The mound’s very crucial. If your mound’s off then you feel uncomfortable. It’s all about feeling comfortable. Get a solid plant.

I critique other mounds. I do my own critiques. I’m actually gonna start a blog about it, about the mounds I pitch on.

On the constant field work:

We do so much field work here it’s unbelievable. But it’s part of the job description, we don’t go to a big-time school with a lot of money, so obviously we do it ourselves. And honestly, our field’s a lot better than some of the schools that do have the money to take care of their fields. We just take pride in keeping the field nice. 

Wes O'Neill, on the players' responsibilities:

Basically, we’re the grounds crew. We have a few guys that help out and they do a great job, we have to take care of it and we do it a lot. Especially since it’s been raining. Put the tarp on, take it off, get it ready because it still gets wet when the tarp’s on there. Not too fun, but you gotta do it to play.

Taylor Emody, on the team's and his personal duties:

We’re lucky enough to have a really nice field. We put a lot of work into it to make sure we’re proud of it. We don’t mind doing it really. 

Pitchers take care of mound, catchers have the backstop area, and it just goes by position. First-base side is mine. We use a brush to brush all the dirt that’s in the grass back in the dirt, make it nice and pretty over there, you know.