Something about the Trimble High School football team screams that this isn’t its first time around the block.

Last season the Tomcats kicked things off by losing three of their first four games before righting the ship and finishing 7-4, losing to Shadyside in the first round of the playoffs.

Oh, so they have been here before.

Trimble began the 2011 season with a pair of losses against tough Nelsonville-York and Wahama squads. Since, the Tomcats have rebounded, getting back to the .500 mark with big wins over South Gallia and Miller, the second of which they blanked while putting up 67 points.

As many similarities as the Tomcats can draw with the first portion of their 2010 campaign, the rest of the season’s goals are just as clearly defined.

“We’ve played two very good teams right off the bat and we knew that there’d be a chance that we’d be sitting at 0-2 at this point,” said Trimble coach Phil Faires. “We knew that we’d have to win the last seven and now we have five more to go.”

The first of the remaining foes is Waterford. The Tomcats will make the trip to opposing territory to face off with the 3-2 Wildcats who are fresh off a loss to Wahama last week.

Faires made it clear that he will have his team prepped for an explosive offensive attack and an experienced line corps.

With senior running back Austin Keith battling a nagging ankle injury again this week, the Tomcats will look to take to the air a bit more often against Waterford. Senior quarterback Justin Jewell only attempted four passes last week.

Getting past this point in the schedule could potentially give Trimble a chance to catch its breath and work on improving the little things for a final postseason push — following Waterford the Tomcats’ next two opponents have won only a single game combined so far this season.