With a 61-53 win over Morgan State, the Ohio Bobcats improved to 5-1 on the season, their best start since the 2005-2006 season.

The Bobcats played the entire game flat, and Ohio scored its first points of the game a little over three minutes into the first half when sophomore Nick Kellogg drained a three.

The Bobcats biggest lead of the game came with 11 seconds left in the second half when Ohio was ahead by eight in a back-and-forth game that included 21 lead changes.  

Ohio shot 19- 59 in the game, shooting 36 percent and an abysmal 3-19 from three-point land. Early foul trouble was another area that plagued the Bobcats. 

Ohio’s post players, Jon Smith and Reggie Keely both picked up two fouls in the first half.  

The Bobcats ended up committing 21 fouls in the game. But, Ohio was lucky that Morgan State did not take full advantage of Ohio’s foul troubles and 18 turnovers. The Bears shot 38 percent, going 19-49 from the field and 1-15 from behind the arc.  

Ohio closed out the first half leading 28-25. Junior Walter Offutt helped the Bobcats stay afloat in the game with key assists and baskets. He led the way for Ohio with 17 points and six assists.

Junior Ivo Baltic also contributed with 14 points and four steals. Junior D.J. Cooper, freshman Stevie Taylor and Keely, who have had big games in the past, did not have the same success against Morgan State, which meant Offutt had to pick up the slack.  

Ohio started to pull away late in the second half, but not before some turmoil. Sophomore Ricardo Johnson picked up a foul late in the game that was immediately followed by a technical foul on coach John Groce.  Following that series of events, it seemed Ohio could unravel but they did not falter.

Cooper had two big assists to Baltic that helped Ohio solidify their lead and hold on for a win.

Ohio travels to Oakland on Wednesday to take on the Golden Grizzlies.