After losing its last four contests by an average of more than 23 points coming into friday's matchup against Vinton County, Alexander was hoping to get back on the right track. Vinton County had other plans as the Vikings added to the Spartans’ woes, winning 67-44 Friday night.

After starting the season 2-2, Alexander has dropped five straight and while a postseason bid is still possible, the Spartans are going to need wins and some help.

At home on Friday, Vinton County came out of the gate blazing, outrebounding the Spartans on the offensive glass by double-digits and lighting up the scoreboard with numerous follow-up buckets.

“First half, I just didn’t think that we hustled,” Alexander coach Blaine Gabriel said. “We gave up way too much easy stuff, got in early foul trouble, not moving our feet and (it) dug us in a big hole.”

The Vikings had three players with double figures in scoring and got most of their offensive production from under the basket as the Spartans got out-muscled and out-rebounded the entire game.

“I think it’s partly size but we’re not really that big either.” Vinton County coach Matt Combs said. “Those are two pretty small basketball teams tonight but our kids did a good job because one of the things we focus on is getting on the boards and I thought in the first half that was the difference.”

The Spartans lone surge came in the third quarter when they cut the lead to within 14 points but Vinton County cut the Spartans' comeback bid short as it allowed Alexander to score only three points in the entire fourth quarter.

“(We) did make a run in the third quarter and you know when you’re making a run, you’ve got to make sure you’re making your shots and we missed some foul shots and that kind of stuff’s tough,” Gabriel said.

The lone bright spot for Alexander was the play of Braden Jones. Jones led all scorers with 26 points, 20 of which came in the second half as he scored over half of the Spartans’points.

“Braden in the first half put himself in a hole, in foul trouble,” Gabriel said. “He’s our offensive player and in the second half he did a nice job, but in the first half, you’ve gotta come ready to play.”

Alexander will get another chance to double their conference win total and go to .500 in the league when they face Nelsonville-York on Tuesday. Game starts at 7:15 pm.

Alexander Box Score

Braden Jones- 26 points, 2 rebs, 2 blocks

Jordan Mosley- 6 points, 3 rebs, 2 assts

Chris Wingett- 5 points, 4 rebs

Jake Gray- 4 points, 3 assts, steal

Tanner Carsey- 2 points, 6 rebs, steal

pm312207@ohiou.edu