The Cincinnati Reds caravan stopped in Athens Thursday night to drum up some spirit for the team.

In attendance from the caravan were Ohio University alumnus Thom Brennaman, Reds Chief Operating Officer Phil Castellini, general manager Walt Jocketty, catcher Devin Mesoraco, former pitcher Tom Browning, and prospect Ryan LaMarre. They are part of the group that is also stopping in Parkersburg, W.Va., Columbus and Dayton.

Brennaman said he has fond memories of Athens and is excited to be back in town.

“I love Athens. It’s one of my favorite places in the world,” Brennaman said. “I talk fondly about it all the time. I’m certainly as proud as anybody out there could be of their alma mater.”

Mesoraco said he enjoys the fan interaction aspect of the caravans because it is more intimate than at the ballpark.

“This is my third time here, and it’s very enjoyable every time just to go out and actually see the fans and be able to interact with them a little more,” Mesoraco said.

Brennaman said it is a humbling experience to travel and see the support the Reds generate when they stop in designated towns.

“To be able to get on a bus, to start driving around all the places we go and see how important the Reds are to so many different people, I’d like to think it’s sort of a pitch back to reality for all of us,” Brennaman said. “I know it is for me.”

Despite the division missing arguably two of its biggest stars, general manager Walt Jocketty said the NL Central will still be very competitive. With recent additions to the team, he said he thinks the Reds will be contenders.

“I think with the improvements we have made, we’re going to be better than we were last year, and I think we’ll be right in the thick of things all year.”

mk277809@ohiou.edu