When “tweet-up” night in Nationwide Arena drew to a close, nobody needed 140 characters to summarize the Blue Jackets’ performance. One word would suffice.

Disappointing.

After squandering an early lead, Columbus eventually dropped a 5-3 decision to the Ducks in an ugly fashion.

Anaheim took the lead 46 seconds into the game when Corey Perry put a wrist shot past Steve Mason to make it 1-0. Then, at 16:15 of the first period, Perry struck again to give his team a 2-0 advantage.

The Blue Jackets were able to strike back before the first intermission, but Fedor Tyutin’s fourth goal of the season did not spark any momentum.

In the second frame, the Ducks continued their dominance with the help of their special teams unit. Anaheim converted on two of three power play opportunities in the second period to gain a commanding 5-1 lead.

Perry, who tallied twice in the opening period, completed his hat trick at 12:38 of the second frame. It was the winger’s second trifecta against Columbus this season.

The Blue Jackets attempted to come back from the four-goal deficit but only registered two goals before time expired. Antoine Vermette and Aaron Johnson tallied the game’s final scores.

Steve Mason, logging his second-consecutive start, made 30 saves in the losing effort. 

mm938910@ohiou.edu