As Ohio senior guard Tenishia Benson walked out of the pressroom after her team’s 51-45 win against Kent State today, she politely turned down a stat sheet. She already knew the score that was printed out across the top. Otherwise, she didn’t miss out on much offensively.

Ohio grinded out the win while shooting only 24 percent from the field.

The Bobcats’ defense stepped up by forcing 32 turnovers.

Kent State kept the game within two possessions early, but around the first half’s midway point the Bobcats extended the lead to 10 points. Neither team had a particularly impressive half, as both Ohio and Kent State shot less than 35 percent from the field.

Additionally, turnovers barred any considerable flow from developing in the half, as the Bobcats committed 10 and Kent State gave up the ball 16 times.

Ohio cashed in eight second chance points on six offensive boards in the opening stanza, while the Golden Flashes were unable to convert on their one offensive rebound.

Bobcat redshirt senior Tenishia Benson and sophomore Shavon Robinson led the team with six points apiece. Freshman Melanee Stubbs also had six for the Kent State.

Junior Trisha Krewson opened up the second half with five straight points for the Golden Flashes, putting them back within striking distance.

Kent State was persistent throughout the remainder of the half, outscoring the Bobcats by five. However, they were unable to overcome Ohio’s 11-point halftime lead.

Robinson continued to lead the Bobcats through the end of the game, as she totaled a game-high 16. Benson finished with 11.

Juniors Leslie Schaefer and Tamzin Barroilhet were the top producers for Kent State, scoring 13 and 12, respectively.