Ohio fell in the second game of its three-part series with Kent State Saturday by a score of 8-1.

The Golden Flashes held a one-run advantage for the majority of the outing, but were able to break open the scoring in the eighth and ninth, where they put up a total of six runs.

Here's a brief breakdown of today's action:

Ohio played well at times during its second game Saturday, but lively Kent State bats in the third, eighth and ninth innings made for a tough outing for the Bobcats.

The Bobcats' misfortunes started in the third inning, when right fielder Jensen Painter caught a fly ball and threw the ball back into the infield. With the runner holding, Ohio shortstop Garrett Black uncorked a wild throw into the Ohio dugout, thus prompting the home plate umpire to award an additional two bases. A run scored because of the mishap.

The Bobcats answered in their half of the frame with an RBI single by Black to cut the deficit in half.

In the sixth inning, first basemen Jake Madsen laced a double over Kent State center fielder Evan Campbell. That hit broke a string of seven straight batters that Golden Flashes' starter Ryan Bores had set down.  

Dan Schmidt could not push the run across, however.

Kent put runners on the corners in the top of the eighth inning. Ohio coach Joe Carbone pulled starter Jason Moulton and replaced him with Marck Paliotto. The starter allowed 10 hits, three walks and two earned runs.

Carbone said that Moulton gave the team the chance to win but the Bobcats struggled when a  key hit was needed.

"A lot of that credit goes to Kent State's defense, they made some great plays," Carbone said.  "Some balls that we hit hard with men on base they turned them into double plays." 

The Golden Flashes' designated hitter Nick Hamilton singled to left field scoring one run in the eighth, while a bobble by Tyler Wells allowed another. Kent State added one more run before the frame ended.

Alex Miklos doubled, bringing home two runners in the top of the ninth. Kent addedd one more giving the Golden Flashes back-to-back three run innings.

Ian Mezlak grouded into the game-ending double play.

Ohio (23-23, 12-8 Mid-American Conference) will pick up play Sunday with a 1:00 start.