Ohio senior golfer Megan Weaver has been named the 2012 Mid-American Conference Golf Sportswoman of the Year.

The nominee is chosen after the second round of the MAC tournament. Players are given a sheet with one player from every team that was nominated by his or her coach. The players then nominated players off the list who they believe show the most sportsmanship.

Weaver said this award is a great honor for her to end her career with.

“I’m speechless,” Weaver said. “I’m so excited to get it. Not only is it an honor that my coach nominated me to be on the list but the fact that all the players vote on it and they agree that I deserve the award is just amazing.”

Weaver shot an average of 78.2 in 20 rounds of golf this spring. She has finished in the top 20 of four tournaments this year. Weaver was an integral part of Ohio third-place finish in the Dolores A. Black Falcon Invitational, where she placed second overall. That marked her best finish this year and tied the best finish for her career.

Weaver said the award was an even greater honor because opposing teams voted for her instead of their own players.

“The fact that girls from other teams agree and thought that I deserve the award and voted for me instead of their teammates is remarkable,” Weaver said.

Throughout her time as a Bobcat, Weaver has had seven top-five finishes. Weaver concluded her career tying for 19th at the 2012 MAC Championship, the best finish for an Ohio golfer at the event.

"It's a huge honor, and it makes me so proud they are making a difference on the golf course and they are doing what they preach as far as being resilient and respecting every player in the field," coach Kelly Ovington said.

mk277809@ohiou.edu