Ohio wrapped up another successful weekend Sunday in the Easton Desert Classic, despite dropping the final game of the tournament to No. 18 UCLA Sunday, which ended a seven game winning streak.

The Bobcats (7-2) began the 1994 season with an 11-2 mark, but after winning three of four games this weekend, Ohio is off to its best start in 19 years.

Before ever taking the field, the Bobcats encountered travel complications after having a flight delayed on the teams’ trip to Las Vegas – forcing a pair of schedule alterations.

Ohio was originally slated to begin the weekend with a showdown Friday against No. 7 Oregon, but the game was cancelled because of the Bobcats’ delayed flight. The game against UCLA was also initially scheduled for Friday, but the teams were able to postpone the game until Sunday.

When they were able to finally take the field Saturday, the Bobcats recorded a sweep of Idaho State and UNLV, as Ohio outscored its opponents 18-7.

Ohio also finished Saturday with four fewer plate appearances than the opposition, despite the run differential.

Five Bobcats finished the day with multiple hits, led by senior catcher Lauren Gellerman with three hits, including two doubles — she is also the reigning Mid-American Conference East player of the week.

Sunday, Ohio began the day with a dominant 15-6 win against the University of Louisiana-Monroe, which lasted just five innings.

Senior first baseman Caitlin Colvin belted a pair of homeruns in the game as she and Gellerman each notched four runs batted in. Ohio finished the game with just nine hits, despite scoring 15 runs, as the Bobcats drew 13 walks.

However, Ohio was not able to extend their winning streak past seven games, as the team then fell to UCLA to finish Sunday with a split. The Bruins offed the Bobcats in just six innings with a final score of 11-2.

After the first inning, the game was tied at two, but UCLA then scored five runs in the second inning, while Ohio did not respond the remainder of the game.

Gellerman and Colvin were the lone Bobcats to record hits, as Colvin launched a two-run home run in the first inning for her third of the day.

With the loss, Ohio has still never defeated a ranked opponent, as the Bobcats have gone 0-4 against ranked teams in the past three seasons.

cl027410@ohio.edu