After the departure of former Ohio coach Ryan Theis and the addition of Deane Webb as new head coach, the Bobcats have added a new face to their coaching staff.

Late Monday, Webb named Maggie Johnson the next assistant coach for Ohio.

Johnson comes to Athens from Transylvania University, where she was the assistant volleyball coach and director of club sports during this past season.

Johnson played four seasons under Webb at Belmont (2008-2011) as an outside hitter, where she earned Atlantic Sun Co-Player of the Year honors as a senior. She was named to the Atlantic Sun first team during her senior and sophomore years and was given American Volleyball Coaches Association All-Region Honorable Mentions in her last year.

Also in 2011, Johnson was named the Atlantic Sun’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year. She was selected to the Atlantic Sun Academic All-Conference team three times in her four year career.

“Maggie is a great addition to our staff,” Webb said. “I've enjoyed watching her transition in the last couple of years from a successful hard working player to a young coach that is hungry to succeed.”

Webb went said that she will be working primarily with the team’s defense and serve-receive play.  

“Her experience playing for me will be invaluable in helping recruits and parents understand what we expect from players in our program and what they can expect from our coaching staff,” Webb said.

This season at Transylvania, Johnson was in charge of pinpointing and recruiting athletes and supporting with team practice plans. Johnson was also the team’s primary position coach for outside hitters.

Before coaching at Transylvania, Johnson served as the head coach for Alliance Volleyball Club in Nashville, Tenn. She was also a camp coach at her alma mater’s Belmont Volleyball Camps during that time.

Johnson graduated from Belmont in 2012 with a degree in exercise science, before earning her master's degree in 2013 in curriculum and instruction from the University of Denver.

“I am very excited to be joining the coaching staff at Ohio,” Johnson said. “After playing for Deane for four years I really believe in the effectiveness of his systems and coaching philosophy and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to work with him again in Athens.”

ab109410@ohiou.edu

Alex_Busch91