There is no such thing as a perfect game, but “The Last of Us: Remastered Edition” comes damn-near close to reaching that standard.

The original game, released in June 2013 for Playstation 3, receives a graphics update, and now runs on 1080p and 60 frames per second on the Playstation 4. It’s also packaged with new multiplayer maps and the campaign’s DLC “Left Behind.”

Developer Naughty Dog doesn’t just raise the bar in terms of creating a game that formulates a grand story, beautiful graphics and fluid gameplay mechanics. It obliterates it.

Story:

“The Last of Us” follows two protagonists: Joel, an aging man that has seen the worst of humanity and Ellie, a fourteen year-old girl who is contrastingly more optimistic as the two companions travel west in a post-apocalyptic United States. Set 20 years following the outbreak of the “Infected,” Joel and Ellie set out in search of the Fireflies, a rebellious group of survivors that are seeking a vaccination.

The writers at Naughty Dog manipulate, in a good way, gamer’s emotions throughout the 15-16 hour campaign, as Joel and Ellie come across a wide variety of characters on their journey.

Without spoiling anything, “The Last of Us” pulls gamers in with its grim tale and realistic character development.

For an example: Joel and Ellie find two brothers — Henry and Sam — trapped inside the city of Pittsburgh, which is now traced with infected and hunters. As the four attempt to escape through the Ford Pitt Bridge from numerous mad men, Joel and Ellie fall behind. Joel screams at Henry for help and Henry snarls back, “I’m sorry man, we’re getting the hell outta here. You’re on your own,” thus leaving the two protagonists to fend for themselves after travelling together for multiple hours.

The world is bare and gray as Naughty Dog beautifully crafts together a story that will stir the emotions of even the most cold hearted gamers.

Gameplay:

Like I stated earlier, there is no such thing as a perfection. Naughty Dog generates a gorgeous world that fully exploits the power of next generation consoles, but forgets to fix a few bugs peppered throughout the original game.

Combat and stealth is finely tuned, but checkpoints are still awfully generous and artificial intelligence can be wonky. In a world that seems so grim and gripping, Naughty Dog disappoints, as I found myself not feeling very threatened when facing hordes of infected or dying.

With that being said, however, “The Last of Us” still delivers when it comes to action and fluidity. Button presses are extremely responsive and minor switches in the control schemes feel correct. The developers changed the aiming and shooting buttons from the L1 and R1 triggers to the back shoulder buttons. It’s a very miniscule detail, but one that makes the experience much more fine.

In terms of looks, the art direction and graphics quality are top notch. If it’s wilting suburban homes or lustful foliage, “The Last of Us” may be one of the best looking games on the market. I often just found myself directing the camera around Joel, just so I could appreciate the fine details in the environment.

The score, orchestrated by two-time Academy Award winner, Gustavo Santaolalla, is dark and melancholy. It perfectly balances the tone and atmosphere of the game and is just another component that makes this experience a must-play.

Players may ask themselves: “Do I really want to shell out money for this again?”

And the answer is simply: Yes. It’s cheaper, better looking and has more content.

Final Verdict:

There’s so much that could be written about “The Last of Us.” Everything from the heartbreaking themes and powerful motifs to the incredible voice acting displayed, makes this game an unforgettable experience. Even if you played this already, there’s enough here to make you come back and engage in a world flawlessly created. Naughty Dog gives a fine tune up to one of gaming’s finest successes. A must-play for any gamer.