Ohio will begin competition in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Thursday for the Winthrop Invitational, where it expects to have some tough competition in the sprints and throws events.

Some of the other particular events Ohio will have to be ready for are the hurdles and jumps, according to coach Clay Calkins.

“The athletes in those events are capable of MAC qualifying performances and will be striving for those marks this weekend,” Calkins said.

The Bobcats, whose top sprinters have been injury-ridden, aim to keep momentum strong and consistent in their dominant events of throws and distance. Freshman Jordan Porter lead the way in throws at the Wake Forest Open last week, which is a promising display of the younger talent on the team.

Sprinters Courtney Guiley, a freshman, and Anna Michael, a sophomore, hope to return to the track next week from hamstring injuries, just in time for the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invitation, the team’s first home meet.

Several of the team’s leading distance runners will also sit out this meet and continue training in Athens in preparation for next week so that they can do their best at home. A few top sprinters and jumpers will sit out as well.

“The distance events [at Winthrop] are weaker and that is why we are training through this meet,” Calkins explained.

@TheSideline2016

ly688912@ohio.edu