Orange is the New Black author Piper Kerman also has a connection to Ohio.

Piper Kerman apparently has an affinity for Ohio.

The New York Times bestselling author of Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison moved to Columbus to teach nonfiction writing in two prisons. And in the recently released third season of its TV adaptation, Orange is the New Black, one of the show’s new characters has a link to Ohio University.

In the 11th episode, Danny Pearson, played by Mike Birbiglia, mentions that he was expelled from OU, trying to compare the situation to a convict escaping. Although not much context is given as to why Pearson was removed from campus, it’s fun to see Ohio University in the national spotlight.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1782ebd2-1628-11e5-b240-3730aa293f65"}}

The Emmy-award winning Netflix original series has resonated with audiences across the world. The story about the lives of the women that live in Litchfield Penitentiary is filled with drama, humor and a touch of insanity.

The third season focuses less on the protagonist, Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling), and instead takes more of each episode to focus on the other inmates and the guards and their relationships with one another. It’s an appreciated change. It shows the power struggle and group dynamics that are present in the prison system.

Unlike previous seasons, the third season doesn’t have a villain — or rather a face to put it on. The inmates are forced to deal with the prison-industrial complex when a corporation acquires Litchfield. The byproduct, budget cuts, causes upset from both workers and inmates, with a sharp decline in pay and supplies, respectively.

The third season of Orange is the New Black is currently streaming on Netflix.

@CoolRahul96

rm700013@ohio.edu