The seventh episode of 'Project Runway' includes an unconventional challenge of 'Haute Tech Couture.'

The designers got a little home improvement crazy with protective goggles and hammers galore, but the outcome was pretty remarkable.

This week’s challenge on Project Runway called for even more creativity than the traumatic paintball challenge.

The designers were woken up to the sound of boomboxes where they had to put in a cassette tape to listen to Heidi Klum tell them they were going to dive into the next challenge. That’s what I call #tbt.

Tim Gunn gathered the designers — now 10 left — to what else than a garbage dump site in Queens. I can smell the couture already.

Marie Claire Editor-in-Chief Anne Fulenwider was also there to explain that they must go digging for inspiration to combine an outfit with technology and fashion. They literally had to dig through garbage to find their materials of outdated technology such as VHS tapes, floppy disks, vinyl records or phone cables to create their look.  

trash animated GIF via giphy.com

Lindsey combatted her germ issues and started digging. She said her brain doesn’t work in an unconventional material kind of way, so that is an omen to come.

fail animated GIF via giphy.com

People were wearily wandering around just throwing old cords, vinyls and switchboards in their grocery carts, and then they had to push the carts back to the Fashion District. OK.

Merline grabs a bunch of floppy disks — wish I knew what files were on them. Ashley gets an artsy idea with polaroids.

As the designers were hammering away, Jake took a minute to talk with Tim and broke down about how his dog needed to be put down. All of a sudden, Jake and Tim are having a moment and they’re both being super emotional talking about how much they love their pets.

teen animated GIF via giphy.com

Ultimately, Jake’s dog needed him, and so he decided to leave the show.

Tim entered the workroom for critiques, and pointed out his concerns. He called Merline’s look “Big Bird-ish;” Laurie’s was drowning in mouse pads and Lindsey needed to get out of her funk of being uninspired.

Joseph used this challenge to sex up his look. The criticism for his designs for a majority of the episodes have been dubbed as mumsy, or matronly. Not sure if this is the challenge to be doing just that though. The materials should speak for themselves.

Tim upped the pressure even more and said there was potential for the best unconventional challenge in the history of Project Runway.

fashion animated GIF

fashion animated GIF

fashion animated GIF

via giphy.com

None of the outfits fit the models, and it was an eye-opener.

Swapnil was procrastinating so hard, which irked a lot of the designers knowing he can push an outfit out in the last 15 minutes. He claimed he'd been playing it safe for the entire show with no risk-taking whatsoever.

He pulls together a muslin skirt at the last minute. Nothing special. Too many smoke breaks got the best of him.

Merline, Laurie and Candice all make it through safely.

Ashley’s polaroid dress was amazing. The silhouette, which she was worried about, killed it and belonged in a couture magazine. Nina Garcia called it “a dress full of memories.”

via ew.com

Lindsey’s struggle with this challenge was hard to ignore. The dress ended up washed out with a lack of direction.

The judges were not happy Swapnil's skirt was muslin. They asked him if he ran out of time — like they don’t know.

Joseph’s motives were wrong for this challenge and the design suffered. Heidi apologized and said, “You’re out” and that was that.

Kelly won the challenge with her shiny, metal party dress. I disagree with her being the winner, but her labor of individually cutting up the piping that made her fabric should not go unnoticed. Quality work.

via ew.com

@mmfernandez_

mf736213@ohio.edu