The challenges get crazier and result in more tears and more backstabbing than fashion. 

Project Runway's challenges are walking the fine line between creative and just plain ridiculous. It was borderline hazing.

This week’s episode started off with a capture the flag-esque mini-challenge that also included being rained on by paintballs pellets. The designers ended up in two teams — only they to had pick their own teams as if this were kickball.

For the first team, Blake, the winner from the previous episode, picks first and chooses Swapnil. Swapnil picks Joseph, following Jake who picks Edmond and then Merline. So the Blue Team is essentially the boys plus Merline.

Candice is first to pick for the second team, but instead of reuniting the awesome Candice/ Ashley duo from the partner challenge, she picks Amanda because she can “help” her. Amanda isn’t some troubled boy you can save, and it’s certainly not the time to try and be a mentor either. Nothing against Amanda, but someone who has been in the bottom three times wouldn’t be my first choice. Trying to work out the logic — there is none.

Television Project Runway animated GIF

via giphy.com

Amanda picks Kelly, who chooses Lindsey. Lindsey chooses Laurie. Laurie then picks the last designer Ashley. Why was she the last one to be picked? Heidi Klum spoke up about how this surprised her as well.

When you think your parents are joking with you but they end up being serious…

via fallontonight.tumblr.com

Here’s where the mental trauma comes in. Everyone who wasn’t picked for the first team was going to be on the second team anyway. They purposefully had the designers pick a designer for nothing more than a popularity contest. 

For the challenge, the teams must design a six-piece collection, but they have to use the white canvas jumpsuits they wore while being pelted with paintballs as the fabric for their designs.

It’s funny because Blake hid behind people and his fabric is white.

Using these splattered jumpsuits and textiles from the paintball ambush, the designers must create this six-piece look in two days. The Boys plus Merline (yes that’s what they were actually labeled as) had a clear vision: a ‘50s-inspired collection with a washed out expressionist look. 

When Tim Gunn comes in for critique, he gives them reinforcement for the looks. For the women, he’s not as quick to approve. It’s all pretty and no plan. Candice is too busy being the mom — start your own design studio if you want to teach. Ashley has neither the confidence nor the reinforcement to do anything. The fabric ends up with too much paint on it, with Tim calling it "an Easter egg festival."

The female team keeps working after Tim leaves, but there’s still no concept or idea. They just keep working regardless if they like their designs or not, which none of them really do.

It gets even worse when Laurie tells Ashley that the group wants to put Ashley on the chopping block when they are on the bottom because they know they will be.

It’s runway time and the Blue Team wins hands down. The designs were intricate. Blake hand-painted flowers on the dresses, and they painted the shoes. The judges picked their top three — Swapnil, Edmond and Jake.

via ew.com

Candice explains the Red Team’s look and makes up some weird concept of a San Francisco woman. Guest judge Kelly Osbourne calls her out on her BS. Ashley becomes emotional on being the last girl picked. Osbourne tells her she needs to toughen up in the industry. The critiques from the judges leave them disappointed.

via ew.com

When the question is asked who should go home, Kelly, Lindsey and Amanda say Ashley.

eye roll animated GIF

via giphy.com

Kelly calls them out saying “it seems like a bit of a bitch fest,” in which I say, "you go Glenn Coco.”

movie animated GIF

via giphy.com

Quickly, Candice changes her mind and said Laurie should go home, while Ashley and Laurie vote for Amanda.

Blake sticks up for Ashley back in the waiting room and, for a tiny second, I like him. The judges decide Edmond is the Blue Team’s winner. Amanda is voted out, and I have to say thank you. Even though the right decisions were made, it was still sad to see the nonsense that led up to it.

Drama + Drama = More Drama (Tim Gunn)

@mmfernandez_

mf736213@ohio.edu