Here are 10 must-see horror movies to get you into the Halloween Spirit.

We all know what time of year it is....

HALLOWEEN

dancing animated GIF

via giphy.com

And one thing we all seem to do religiously is watch scary movies. From awful horror flicks from the vaults of Netflix to A+ pictures from the likes of Stephen King, we all love those movies that keep us up at night. Here are 10 spectacularly spooky movies to get you into Halloween mode: 

1.     Silence of the Lambs (1991)

If you’re a horror buff, one movie that’s always on your list is Silence of the Lambs. Anthony Hopkins plays the creepy cannibal Dr. Hannibal Lecter who is confided in by FBI Agent Clarice Starling (Jodie Foster) as she tries to capture a serial killer who skins their victims. Not only is this film scary, but it’s also extremely well-written. It won an Academy Award for Best Motion Picture in 1992. Get ready to “wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lambs.”

silence of the lambs animated GIF

via giphy.com

2.     The Orphanage (2007)

Director Guillermo del Toro is a genius. We’re talking about the guy who created Hellboy (2004) and Pan’s Labyrinth (2006). The Orphanage is another one of his lesser known greats. It is in Spanish, though that doesn’t mean you should skip right by it. We find Laura (Belén Rueda), her husband Carlos (Fernando Cayo) and their son Simón (Roger Príncep) renovating a home they bought to help sick kids. Ironically, it’s an old orphanage that Laura used to live in. When her son goes missing, weird stuff starts to happen in the house. The ending will leave you speechless, and if you’re like me, you’ll cry. By the end of the film, you’ll forget it’s in Spanish.

movie animated GIF

via giphy.com

3.     The Shining (1980)

“Here’s Johnny!” When it comes to classic movies, Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining is undisputedly one of them. Adapted from Stephen King’s novel, The Shining tugs at our fears of hotels, ghosts, blood and crazed husbands. If you haven’t seen it, what are you doing with your life?

movie animated GIF

via giphy.com

4.     Trick ‘r Treat (2007)

This may be one scary movie you’ve never seen before. Four interconnected tales come together in this terrifying film. All stories are equally scary, and the main protagonist, a demonic trick ‘r treater, will keep you up at night.

film animated GIF

via giphy.com

5.     Zombieland (2009)

There are two things in this world I love: zombies and Woody Harrelson. Both are in the comedic horror flick Zombieland. We’re talking about zombie killing, Woody, Emma Stone and Jesse Eisenberg in one movie — all killing zombies. The makeup in this movie is incredible, and the plot is hilarious. Even expect a cameo from our favorite, Bill Murray.

zombieland animated GIF

via giphy.com

6.     The Conjuring (2013)

An old school flick in a modern world, the conjuring looks back at traditional hauntings and possessions. It’s also the prequel to Annabelle (2014). Both movies feature the paranormal power couple of Ed (Patrick Wilson) and Lorraine Warren (Vera Farmiga) on their quest to rid a demonic presence in a simple family’s home. The ending will leave you cringing in your seat.

movie animated GIF

via giphy.com

7.     It (1990)

Halloween means one thing: Stephen King. The movie, along with the novel, is another great in King’s library. The movie follows a group of kids as they try to fight a demon posing as a killer clown. If you have coulrophobia, don’t watch this. Pennywise the clown will have you wishing King was never born.

clown animated GIF

via giphy.com

8.     The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

This classic plays on the fear we all have. Your car breaks down, and you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere and have to find your way home. There are people stalking you, and something bad ends up happening. This movie is a classic, and the remake in 2006 is not so bad either. Cannibals and inbreds are not in short supply in this film. This movie will leave you uneasy and ready to Trick or Treat.

horror animated GIF

via giphy.com

9.     30 Days of Night (2007)

After a far northern town in Alaska is plunged into its annual 30 days of night, a group of crazy, bloodthirsty vampires ravage the town and wreak havoc on the residents. The vamps in this movie are some of the best I’ve seen. If vampires were real, they would be like the ones in this film. I remember watching this after it first came out, and not being able to sleep alone for a week (I was in the 7th grade, but still). Don’t skip over this one; you won’t be disappointed.

30 days of night animated GIF

via giphy.com

10.Detention (2011)

One of my favorite movies ever, Detention is a quirky, scary comedy drama that centers on a crazed killer that follows around a group of students on their prom night, where they are stuck in detention. Josh Hutcherson and Dane Cook star in this film. In order to enjoy this movie, you have to have a weird sense of humor.

yep animated GIF

via giphy.com

Sit down, grab some candy corn, cider and bae to hold tight to and watch these fabulous films. Sleep tight!

@wintuck

hw333514@ohio.edu