When decorating this holiday season, a not-so-traditional Christmas tree might be the perfect thing.

When it comes to the holidays, being conventional might not be your style. Instead of putting up a traditional green tree with a star sitting brightly on top, maybe it’s time for a little change.

And if company is coming to your home this holiday, the unconventional Christmas tree is a perfect conversation piece. So crank up the Christmas music and put on your santa hat because it's time to decorate!

Here are eight not so conventional Christmas trees:

1. Harry Potter tree

Tis the season for a Harry Potter Weekend and a Harry Potter tree. Grab some butterbeer and Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans and get to decorating. Swap the star on top for a Sorting Hat and have a magical holiday.

via potterheadsoftheworldunite.tumblr.com

2. Disney tree

If you can’t make it to “The Happiest Place On Earth” during the holiday, use your tree as substitute.

via ourlovelyadventures.tumblr.com

3.  Cookie Monster

After finding a blue tree, this tree is incredibly simple. Get two clunky eyes, some black felt and a Christmas hat, and you have yourself a Cookie Monster tree.

via imgur.com

4. Do you want to build a snowman? Then this tree is perfect!

With a corncob pipe and a button nose and two eyes made out of coal, you have yourself a snowman tree. A white tree and white lights are suggested for best results. 

via xmas-present.tumblr.com

5. Celebrate in style with a dress tree

For all the fashionistas out there, this Christmas tree might be everything you desire. If you already have a mannequin top, all you need is a short and stubby tree. Decorate the tree as a dress.

via jessyvivid.tumblr.com

6. Book tree

If you’re running out of time to buy a tree, gather some books and make your very own book tree.

via rachel-rebellion.tumblr.com

7. Superhero tree 

For all the superhero fanatics out there, this season can be the perfect time to show your good or evil side. With some different colored ornaments and a shield as a tree topper, the tree can be a perfect fit. 

via girlwholovedthemonsters.tumblr.com

8. Beach tree

If you’re anything like Kenny Chesney, the only thing you want for Christmas is a real good tan. If you can’t make it to the beach this holiday season, this tree could be the perfect substitute.

via ladyluxury7.tumblr.com

Bonus tree: My tree

My tree includes rainbow lights, purple beads instead of garland, rainbow ornaments — some of which are penguins — and a bright crystal star on top. 

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu