Host Ricky Gervais offended the audience, and Leonardo DiCaprio was spooked by Lady Gaga.

The 73rd Annual Golden Globes began on a shaky note with several bad jokes, only to be saved by the humor from the Hollywood stars themselves.

Host Ricky Gervais started the show by making controversial comments about hot-button issues such as Caitlyn Jenner and saying Schindler’s List is as much as a comedy as The Martian — all said for the sole purpose of getting a reaction.

If you didn’t think that was bad enough, Channing Tatum and his combover took the stage as Jonah Hill dressed as the bear from The Revenant with a drawn out joke that wasn’t very funny. Any laughs from the audience were probably in reference to the disaster on top of Tatum’s head. 

channing tatum jonah hill golden globes 2016

via giphy.com

Kate Winslet was awarded Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture for her role in Steve Jobs, winning over the audience and stopping the trainwreck that was going on previously on stage.

Jennifer Lopez and Dwayne Johnson (dressed in a velvet sport jacket) presented Maura Tierney with the award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television. Yes, you read that right, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson wore velvet to the Golden Globes. Thank god.

Rachel Bloom won the award for Best Actress in a TV Movie Miniseries or Series and triumphantly thrusted her award, which was a relatable reaction for someone presented with such a big award. Any sane person would’ve done the same thing. 

Golden Globe Awards golden globes rachel bloom

via giphy.com

Orlando Bloom made a comeback appearance to announce Oscar Isaac as the Best Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for TV. Bloom is famous for his Pirates of the Caribbean role and used the stage time as a promotion for another upcoming Pirates movie. Yes, they are still making those for 2016. 

running pirates of the caribbean

via giphy.com

Jamie Foxx and Lily James announced the award for the Best Film score. Foxx tried to make a joke and say that Straight Outta Compton, which was not included in the list of nominees, won the award. After period of awkward silence and laughs, he announced the score for The Hateful Eight actually won the award. Quentin Tarantino accepted the award on composer Ennio Morricone's behalf, professing his love for the composer and making everyone uncomfortable. 

Golden Globe Awards reaction shocked golden globes 2016 alan cumming

via giphy.com

Gervais announces presenters America Ferrera and Eva Longoria by making another bad joke that Donald Trump would like the two actresses deported. The two actresses recaptured the audience by poking fun at Hollywood racism against Latinos. They also referenced that one time a Golden Globes tweet mixed up Ferrera and actress Gina Rodriguez, thus proving those two should’ve hosted the show. 

via mtv.tumblr.com

Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg came on stage wearing plastic sunglasses that spelled out “2016” to announce the winner of Best Screenplay. When the audience laughed at their accessories, Ferrell proceeded to call the crowd a bunch of “buttholes.” Classic. 

will ferrell golden globes 2016

via giphy.com

One of the crowning moments of the show was when the screen panned to Aziz Ansari when he was announced as a nominee for Best Actor in a Television Series Comedy or Musical. Ansari was reading a book, Losing to Jeffrey Tambor with Dignity, and completely ignored everyone else in the room. Even though he didn’t win the award, he served as a true inspiration. 

Golden Globe Awards book reading aziz ansari golden globes 2016

via giphy.com

Lady Gaga won her first Golden Globe for her performance in American Horror Story: Hotel. She got very emotional during her speech, but audiences on social media appeared to be more interested in what happened before she hit the stage. The screen showed her passing behind Leonardo DiCaprio, where he displays a sudden look of disgust and/or fear. Did she accidently bump into him as she walked by? Was he not expecting her to be right behind him and he got scared? Was he offended that she won the award? The world may never know. 

lady gaga leonardo dicaprio golden globes golden globes 2016

via giphy.com

Katy Perry wore a Bumpit as she presented Sam Smith and Jimmy Napes with the award for Best Original Song for their song “Writing’s On The Wall.” I give Perry my full support in her efforts to bring back the Bumpit in 2016. 

mtv katy perry golden globes different golden globes 2016

via giphy.com

Denzel Washington was honored with the Cecil B. DeMille Award. When Washington and his family took the stage after a heartfelt montage of his work to give an acceptance speech, the actor seemed to stumble over his words a bit. He proclaimed he was speechless from winning the award, and he also forgot his glasses so he was having trouble reading his speech off his notecards. Awww. 

Golden Globe Awards glasses golden globes 2016 denzel washington

via giphy.com

Taraji P. Henson was awarded with Best Actress in a TV Series Drama for her role as Cookie Lyon in Empire. In celebration, she grabbed a handful of cookies off her table and passed them out to all of the Hollywood stars in the crowd. Then, while accepting her speech, she proclaimed that she waited 20 years for the award, so the show could wait while she had her moment and gave her speech. She should’ve hosted along with Ferrera and Longoria. 

Jim Carrey made a bunch of dad jokes while he announced The Martian as Best Motion Picture Musical or Comedy, which for some reason is classified as a comedy. There’s a good chance it was put in the comedy category because it would not have been able to standout in the big-time drama category i.e The Revenant, Room and Spotlight to name a few. 

Gervais threw in another joke about transgender people in which everyone ignored before Brie Larson is announced as Best Actress in a Motion Picture Drama for her role in Room.

When the nominations for Best Actor in a Motion Picture Drama were presented, it appears to be anyone’s game. Leonardo DiCaprio, Michael Fassbender, even WILL SMITH were in the category. DiCaprio ended up winning the award and gives an eloquent speech involving his support for protecting indigenous people’s rights.

leonardo dicaprio smiling fireworks happy new year the great gatsby

via giphy.com

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c4d7bb86-afdf-11e5-9e99-a3d1de01085c"}}

The show wraps up with The Revenant winning Best Motion Picture Drama. If Gervais got anything right in his monologues, it was that the show was very long and drawn out. However, it was actors such as Eva Longoria and America Ferrera who saved the audience from another bad monologue. Even Gervais said he could not believe NBC asked him back to host.

Golden Globe Awards beer golden globes ricky gervais golden globes 2016

via giphy.com

Here are Golden Globe winners:

Best Motion Picture - Drama: The Revenant

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: The Martian

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Brie Larson, Room

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Jennifer Lawrence, Joy

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Matt Damon, The Martian

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture: Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in any Motion Picture: Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Best Director - Motion Picture: Alejandro IñárrituThe Revenant

Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Aaron Sorkin - Steve Jobs

Best Motion Picture - Animated: Inside Out

Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language: Hungary, Son of Saul

Best Original Score - Motion Picture: Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight

Best Original Song: “Writing’s On The Wall,” Spectre

Best Television Series - Drama: Mr. Robot

Best Television Series - Musical or Comedy: Mozart in the Jungle

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Wolf Hall

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Lady Gaga, American Horror Story: Hotel

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Oscar Isaac, Show Me a Hero

Best Performance by an Actress in A Television Series - Drama: Taraji Henson, Empire

Best Performance by an Actor in A Television Series - Drama: Jon Hamm, Mad Men

Best Performance by an Actress in A Television Series - Musical or Comedy: Rachel Bloom, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Best Performance by an Actor in A Television Series - Musical or Comedy: Gael García BernalMozart in the Jungle

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Maura Tierney, The Affair

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Christian Slater

Cecil B. DeMille Award: Denzel Washington

@_alexdarus

ad019914@ohio.edu