David Bowie died Sunday and Bowie lovers around the world give tribute to the loss.

Rock music legend David Bowie died Sunday at the age of 69, two days after his birthday.  

Bowie’s 18-month battle with cancer is a reason to say we could have seen this coming, but the world was still not prepared to face this truth.

“David Bowie died peacefully today surrounded by his family,” a post on his Facebook page read. And for a while the response on social media was of disbelief until Bowie’s son Duncan Jones confirmed the news.

The musician stopped touring in 2004 and seldom interacted with the public through appearances or interviews. Though, his latest album, Blackstar, was released Friday, his birthday, and had plenty of anticipation after the release of his single "Lazarus” on Dec. 17.

The single goes in hand with Bowie's Off-Broadway musical Lazarus, a continuation of his 1976 film The Man Who Fell to Earth. Broadway star and actor Michael C. Hall did his best to emulate the star’s mystic character when he performed “Lazarus” on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, which I was fortunate enough to see.

Bowie has transcended his songs through the meaning of what it is to be an alien, an unusual creature, a misfit — a frame of mind any generation can connect with.

Bowie has been my choice for music at work, my study playlist and usually plays in the background of many other activities.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="8d494b58-b7d2-11e5-a5a9-977cd3c5ddbd"}}

He was admired by pop freaks, grunge lovers, rockers and even hip-hop artists (who doesn’t love a good ballad)? There isn’t a keyhole this man could not fit into. He has shown me what life is like on Mars and what a quality pair of dancing shoes are. Bowie can take credit for obscure influences by Japanese fashion and electric German synthesizer, proving there are other artists other than Kevin Bacon that can be used in the "six degrees" theory. He’ll still have cosmic power over all of us and will be known for his chameleonic style. Bowie, you'll forever be a hero for more than one day.

music illustration david bowie time lapse helen green

via giphy.com

@mmfernandez_

mf736213@ohio.edu