Hit Netflix documentary, "Making a Murderer," consumes viewer interest as the Avery case drama seeps out of the courtroom and into the media.

Making a Murderer has become a household name, working its way onto Facebook, Twitter and the kitchen tables of millions of Americans.

And after the 10 one-hour episodes, we are left with the question that leaves us on edge of our seats: What the hell, Wisconsin?

In case the hit Netflix documentary series has flown under your radar, here is a brief rundown.

First streamed a little over a month ago on Dec. 18, Making a Murderer delves into the story of Steven Avery, a Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, man who unjustly served 18 years in prison for another man’s crime. And that was only the beginning.

Making a Murderer goes deep into socioeconomic inequality and small town politics while tracking the Avery family through yet another legal battle as Steven Avery is charged for the murder of a local photographer.

The series has become so well known that everyone is tuning in, including celebrities such as Kim Kardashian and Mindy Kaling.

The more furious viewers have found some creative ways to vent their anger at Wisconsin’s justice system.

A meme of Ken Kratz, the prosecuting attorney in Avery's case, pokes fun at his purportedly flimsy and circumstantial evidence, while also doubling as a well-played valentine for your crime documentary-loving honey. Kratz has been accused of fabricating evidence and actively pursuing Avery despite knowing he was innocent. He's not a very well liked man in the Making a Murderer community.

via funnyordie.com 

Kratz has been a very vocal critic of the documentary, saying that it leaves out key bits of evidence and misconstrues the truth of the case.

Despite that, he has told media that he is writing a book on the Avery case. And he had no problem contacting Avery as an attempt to use him as a source.

Kathleen Zellner is Avery's new attorney who is bound and determined not only to prove his innocence, but also to prove he was framed. She’s incredibly vocal about the case on Twitter, using the documentary’s fame to increase public scrutiny on the case.

But beyond the reactions to the 10-episode phenomenon, the underlying question we have for filmmakers Moira Demos and Laura Ricciardi is what about a season two?

Both filmmakers and Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos are considering a second season of Making a Murderer given the developing story and new evidence. But all parties involved have made clear that nothing is set in stone.

Even if it were to be greenlit tomorrow, I'm not sure we'd have our second season fix as soon as we’d like.

Demos and Ricciardi got their first look at the Avery case from the front pages of The New York Times in November 2005. For 10 years they worked on making the series a reality. Some of that was spent gaining the family's trust. Some was spent religiously waiting for trials and hearings. If there were to be a second season of the series, it could be a long time in the making.

@mcappy13

ml540312@ohio.edu