"Pretty Little Liars" leaves more questions unanswered but gives a spark of romance and a likely suspect.

At some point, everyone needs to leave high school behind — but in the Pretty Little Liars episode "Charlotte's Web," the four little liars are slipping back into their old habits — lying being at the top of the list. With questions left unanswered about Charlotte’s death and suspicion growing, the liars can’t escape their old lives. It’s not an overly exciting episode, but more mysteries are revealed, viewers finally get to see some character development from a few liars (FINALLY!) and a little romance begins to spark. 

The episode kicks off with all the girls dressed in black following Charlotte’s funeral service. After a quick discussion about the police, the girls agree there won’t be any problems because they were all together in the hotel room — right? Except, Hanna (Ashley Benson) is not putting up with any nonsense this season.

It’s not long before Hanna is cornering Aria (Lucy Hale) and questioning her disappearance the night of Charlotte’s murder. Hanna wants to be done with the lying and the snooping — but clearly Aria’s not on the same page.

And, of course, we find out Sara Harvey (Dre Davis) isn’t on the suspect list. Of course the person who worked alongside Charlotte (Vanessa Ray) wouldn’t be on the list. Come on, Rosewood Police Department. The kill count in this town is way to high and someone is always lying.

Basically, Charlotte’s death was pretty brutal. Someone must have really hated her to have broken her neck and beaten her up before tossing her off a bell tower and making it look like a suicide.

Hanna is looking a little distraught when her new beau Jordan (David Coussins) surprises her with a lovely meal in her hotel room and some awesome wedding plans. It’s a shame Hanna is overthinking the fact that Aria could indeed be a killer — that definitely can kill the mood.

And here’s where the lying really begins. Aria arrives at Ezra’s apartment and blurts out, “We didn’t see each other the night Charlotte was killed.” It’s not a surprise in the slightest she was with Ezra (Ian Harding) — or that the lies are continuing. Haven’t the liars learned by now? It’s season six. 

via prettylittleliars.tumblr.com

And Hanna’s not the only one with suspicions. Aria’s quick getaway back to her life in Boston was a red flag for Alison (Sasha Pieterse). Why leave so soon? Great question, Alison. 

On a completely unrelated note, Emily (Shay Mitchell) also has something she’s hiding. First off, she can’t even pay for parking while at a doctor’s appointment, and no one knows why she keeps needing to go to doctor’s appointments. Time will tell, but viewers likely will be waiting a while, as per usual.

The liars — aside from Aria — soon rejoin for dinner with Alison. And finally, Caleb (Tyler Blackburn) and Jordan have a chance to meet. The real question though is why Spencer keeps longingly glancing at Caleb with googly eyes. Sure, they hang out on Capitol Hill, but is there more to it?  

via prettylittlegossipgleek.tumblr.com

And in the midst of the awkward dinner party, Alison recieves a call from her ex-lover and policeman Lorenzo (Travis Winfrey). Charlotte was killed around 4 a.m. Then Alison begins saying grace at the table, and the liars are all glancing around with guilty looks painted on their faces. What is even happening? 

Then Aria is back to see Ezra again, but it’s totally for official business. She came to get a book he’s writing for the publishing company she works for. But she can’t resist digging deeper and asking Ezra what he did that night after she went home. Apparently he went home — but honestly, everyone lies in Rosewood. 

Later, Hanna finally succumbs to her old ways and breaks into the security footage from her mother’s hotel, The Radley. (Ugh, why did anyone think turning a mental institution into a hotel would be a good idea?) Anyway, the liars soon find out Aria was with Ezra and was gone from 3:12 a.m. until after 4 a.m.

Thankfully, the liars aren’t putting up with much nonsense this season. They soon confront Aria, and she spills the details of the night, which involve seeing Charlotte enter the church and hearing Ezra make some hateful remarks toward Charlotte. Now, the suspicions have turned toward Ezra.

Well, Ezra did stalk Aria and her friends for ages and also had a fling with Alison at some point, so why couldn’t he be a killer, too?

And as always, everything goes crazy toward the end of the episode.

• Spencer realizes she shared her criminology paper with Ezra during that time because he was allegedly working on a new book. 
  • Hanna falls back into her old ways and decides to delete the camera footage of Aria leaving the hotel.
  • Emily goes to her father’s grave for the first time and starts to break down about how she flunked classes in college and lost her scholarship.
  • Then, Sara Harvey shows up in the graveyard, probably checking out Charlotte’s grave, which is nearby where Emily is visiting her father.

via prettylittleliars.tumblr.com

And then Alison loses her innocent sweet demeanor that she adopted in the first episode of the season and tosses her friends right into their graves. She tells Lorenzo that her friends could have been involved in the death of Charlotte.   

The mystery person at the end is visiting the graveyard and leaving flowers likely on Charlotte’s grave. The person is nothing gasp-worthy yet, but it’s still early.

Pretty Little Liars airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on Freeform.

@liz_backo

eb823313@ohio.edu