From performances in Germany in the '80s to low-budget music videos, David Hasselhoff is still relevant in pop culture. 

You may think David Hasselhoff does nothing more than judge talent shows, chase Pamela Anderson on the beach and drunkenly eat hamburgers on the ground, but you are wrong.

He is more than an important TV star, he is a musical icon.

In Germany, David Hasselhoff runs the world. In 1989 Hasselhoff, who was born in the United States and has immediate ties to Germany, performed at the Berlin Wall, where he sang his song “Looking for Freedom.”

Not only should everyone listen to the magical and uplifting music of “The Hoff,” they should also feast their eyes on his music videos as well. His videos include corny dancing, badass special effects and some really miserable green screen imagery.

The music video “Jump in my Car” is essentially three minutes of Hasselhoff dancing in front of KITT from Knight Rider, and scantily clad women. At one point in the same video, devil horns are illustrated on his head. It may sound terrifying, but it is not — it is beautiful and culturally important.

The comedy and entertainment that comes from his videos are endless but also important for how music videos have evolved. For the most part, the music videos seem to be low budget. The videos are an excellent example of how terrible green screen imaging was, and how much it has evolved.

david hasselhoff wall celebrate hasselhoff hooked on a feeling

via giphy.com

Aside from the graphics of the videos, the content is just completely over the top. From his older music videos to his recent video from last April, the ideas in his videos remain pointless and absurd. The music video from April for “True Survivor” is about a Kung Fu-fighting cop who goes back in time to strike down Adolf Hitler, but is accidentally sent to the Viking era. Try thinking of something more ridiculous than that, I dare you.

In older music videos through green screen, he is put into situations including flying among birds, flying through glaciers and dancing in a field with very obviously green-screened wiener dogs.

david hasselhoff funny crazy tontadas de risa

via giphy.com

The music videos are pretty much pointless and laughable, but it is a very straight-forward example of the way technology for music videos have changed. I play these music videos for my friends and they do not appreciate the art, so I found it necessary to write about it and spread awareness. If anyone wants to sit back, wear robes, put on face masks and watch The Hoff in action, please let me know.

@ArielleABerger

ab399211@ohio.edu