Here are 10 things you might be worried about, but shouldn’t be.

Many incoming freshmen might be nervous about coming to Ohio University.

It’s a big change. You’re living on your own without your parents, and you don’t really have anyone keeping an eye on you for the first time. But, there really isn’t anything to worry about. Here are some common things freshmen might worry about, and reasons why they shouldn't.

1. You and your roommate don’t get along

When coming to college, almost everybody wonders if they will get along with their roommate.

Still, your roommate probably won’t be like Minka Kelly’s serial killer roommate in that appropriately-named 2011 movie, The Roommate.

leighton meester minka kelly thriller the roommate cam gigandet

via giphy.com

There’s no need to worry about your roommate. Do your best to keep your area clean and respect their privacy, and you should be fine. You might even become best friends, and your relationship will likely be more like this:

bedroom activities stepbrothers so much room for activities

via giphy.com

If you do have problems with your roommate, you can talk to your RA about it and try to work it out. If that doesn’t work, OU does allow students to change rooms.

2. You’ll be late to class

The fear of being late to class is normal, but you will be fine. You will have a couple days on campus before classes actually start, so find all your classrooms and find the the quickest routes to take in that time. Try to arrive early on your first days to find a seat, and you won’t have anything to worry about.

If you are late, just try this:

late school class smooth trolling

via giphy.com

3. You won’t make any friends

There’s no need to worry about not making friends.

Everyone knows they are supposed to get involved in activities on campus to meet people, but you should also be a part of an organization that meets regularly. Joining a club that only meets once every two weeks might not help you make friends quickly. Joining an intramural sport or student publication that meets more often will help. OU offers learning communities, which can be a great opportunity to make friends. They are also a good way to find study buddies. Take advantage of events in your residence hall. Those can be a good way to get to know people in your building. Also, your roommate is basically an automatic friend. They can’t leave you or ignore you, because you live with them. Making friends just happens naturally. You might not have many friends your first few weeks of school. Just give it time.

via robertericthomas.files.wordpress.com 

4. The "Freshman 15"

With all the dining options at OU and the restaurants Uptown, you shouldn’t have any issues finding food. Many people worry about gaining the so-called "Freshman 15," but with the hills around campus, students have no choice but to be active. Ping Recreation Center is free to all students and is open from 6 a.m. to 12 a.m. on weekdays. Ping offers classes such as yoga and Zumba that are free with your student I.D. Many students go hiking at The Ridges, located past The Convo on East Ridge Drive.

Try to eat healthy at the dining halls. The pizza and mac n’ cheese are tempting, but maybe consider eating a salad once in awhile. But, if you do gain the "Freshman 15," who cares? Don’t spend time worrying about it.

food honey boo boo salad here comes honey boo boo i hate salad

via giphy.com 

5. You won’t find anything to do on the weekends

Despite Athens being such a small town, there is never a shortage of activities  on the weekends. Look at calendars and upcoming Facebook events near you, and you will always find something to do. The OU calendar lists upcoming events on campus. Also, you don’t have to go out every weekend. If you want to spend the night watching shows on Netflix and eating pizza, go for it. Do what you want.

eating bored rebel wilson cereal

via giphy.com 

6. Not having a major

Coming to college undecided in your major is perfectly fine. It’s OK if you don’t know what you want to do yet. Taking classes and joining clubs that interest you will help you decide. "Majors fairs" will take place throughout the academic year, where you will be able to talk to people in certain majors. Don’t worry about not knowing what to do yet. You’re not alone.

funny parks and recreation tv show confused funny s

via giphy.com 

7. Trying new things

In terms of challenging yourself and joining clubs you might not have experience with, don’t worry about it. If you want to join, for example, an ultimate frisbee club but don’t know how to play, don’t let that stop you. If you want to write for a student publication on campus but don’t have a lot of experience writing, that’s fine. College is about learning and experiencing new things. Don’t let not knowing something discourage you from participating. You will figure it out as you go along, so just be confident.

nicole confident nicole arbour arbour

via giphy.com 

8. Getting Homesick

You are leaving the nest, and it is perfectly fine to miss your parents. Call and Skype them often, because they probably miss you, too. When you get busy, you might struggle finding time to call them. Everybody gets spouts of homesickness, though, and that’s OK. OU offers walk-in counseling if you need to talk to someone. With time, homesickness usually just passes.

via makeagif.com 

9. Communal Bathrooms

Going from your cozy, single bathroom at home to the communal dorm bathrooms can be a drastic change, but it’s not so bad. The bathrooms are cleaned daily on weekdays. Wearing shower shoes is an inconvenience, but you get used to it and eventually just stop thinking about it. People don’t walk around naked in the bathrooms, like it is sometimes portrayed in movies.

ryan gosling crazy stupid love steve carrel Is that bothering you

via giphy.com

10. Buying Textbooks

Many freshmen think they need to buy the textbooks before class starts, but it’s not necessary. Some professors put required readings on the course catalog that aren’t actually required, and you don’t end up using all of your textbooks. Wait until the first day of class to see what the professor says about the books. Also, renting or buying used textbooks saves a lot of money, and they might have notes and highlights in them already.

help me im poor kristen wiig bridesmaids
via giphy.com

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="83f9f6dc-0d5f-11e6-a956-cf8904c3c173"}}

There are some things that may seem daunting right now, but once you get to OU you’ll fall into a groove and everything will work out.

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu