First Street Heat gets the crowd cheering during the Halloween Block Party on Court Street. This was First Street Heat's last performance as a band. (DUSTIN LENNERT | Director of Photography)

Bands rock Court Street during Halloween festivities

As Court Street revelers paraded in their costumes this evening, they were serenaded by an array of local bands.

More than 10 bands took one of two Court Street stages — one by Union Street and one by BP. They included Dune, Mind Fish, Hellnaw, Dave Rave, Mojoflo, Acer Negundo, PJ and the Whistlers, Mike Perkins, First Street Heat and The Clifftones.

Be sure to pick up a copy of The Post Monday for more coverage.

Clifftones

With a unique look, style and sound, the Clifftones ended the Halloween night with high quality.

Though relatively unknown by the Athens community, the band defiantly attracted fellow Halloween partiers. The performers were noticeably drinking, joining the audience in a drunker stupor.

Despite the alcoholic beverages, the band inspired a mature and respectable crowd due to its reggae beats and smooth guitar and bass solos.

Although the show was relatively low-key, one man dressed as a penguin was dropped on his head while crowdsurfing. Minutes later he was seen surfing again through the crowd, seemingly untouched.

With flawless tunes, the Clifftones ended the Halloween night on a high note.

—Lindsay Friedman

Mike Perkins and First Street Heat

With flowing locks of blond hair, Mike Perkins sticks out onstage, even on the night of the Athens Halloween Block Party.

His country tang and folk melodies both soothed and riled up the Court Street audience. People swayed to his guitar and tried to sing along.

However, on South Court, the show to be at was First Street Heat. By 10:30, Court Street had transformed itself into one of the biggest block parties in the U.S., and First Street Heat played off the huge energy there and made the place even more crazy.

This being First Street Heat’s last show, the band went all out. The blend of hip-hop, funk and soul melodies reverberated throughout South Court Street as more and more people gathered and Court Street became louder and louder.

—Devin Ellis

Mojoflo          

Neither the cold nor the time of night can affect the chaos of Court Street.

Helping to keep the chaos alive, Mojoflo came on the north Court Street stage with a unique mixture of jazz and modern beats.

To start the performance, a saxophone, trombone and classic drum beat kept the crowd grooving even without lyrics to sing along to.

After grooving for a bit, one of the lead singers broke into an upbeat number to keep the crowd moving.

Even after Dave Rave, Mojoflo was able to keep the party alive.

—Anjelica Oswald

Dune, Mind Fish, Hellnaw and Dave Rave

A night of insane music and a crazy crowd can only mean one thing — Halloween Block Party at the North Stage.

The lineup included Dune, Mind Fish, Hellnaw, the Keith Stone look-a-like contest and Dave Rave.

The first of the crew, Dune, was mellow with a small crowd and low-key music. The band also contained hardcore riffs and bass through out the show.

Second of the night, Mind Fish, the confetti rock band, hosted a fun concert. The lead singer of the band also decided to join the crowd during the last few renditions of the show. The show consisted of more than enough confetti, as promised.

Hellnaw also impressed the crowds with its hard-core guitar and drum solos. Dressed as a pig, the lead singer and drummer excited the group with their unique sound and admirable style.

The Keith Stone look-a-like contest followed seconds after. Although the hostesses threw free T-shirts in the crowd, the actual look-a-likes were not dressed to impress. The contest only lasted minutes.

Dave Rave, on the other hand, was a crowded mosh-pit fest. The fiesta caused increased security presence as crowd surfers populated the event. The techno music and dancers dressed as a lion, zebra, giraffe and sheep, responding to the recent escape of wild animals in Zanesville.

—Lindsay Friedman

Mind Fish

Halloween is very much about the dead, but Court Street’s music scene is very much alive — even with a minor setback at the start of this evening's performances.

Mind Fish was scheduled to perform at 7:30, but due to rain, the band postponed its performance until 8.

Despite the late start, Mind Fish came on strong with guitar riffs and teenage rock anthems.

The band performed a mixture of songs, including some about Athens, Ohio and drunken nights spent on Court Street.

To keep the crowd involved, band members threw confetti and confetti-filled balloons, as well as some drumsticks.

Audience members ignored the wind and danced crazily to the rock songs.

—Anjelica Oswald