Dr. Pam Benoit

Benoit withdraws from SIU chancellor search, to remain at OU

Ohio University's vice president and provost will remain at OU after withdrawing from the search for a chancellor position at the University of Southern Illinois Carbondale.

After applying for jobs at other universities, Pam Benoit will remain at Ohio University.

Benoit, OU’s executive vice president and provost, took herself out of the running for the chancellor position at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. In mid-April, she was named one of four finalists for the job.

Benoit withdrew from the search after expressing that she plans to remain at OU, according to a May 27 news release from SIU.

Laura Myers, Benoit’s chief of staff, previously said in an email that Benoit “explored other opportunities” in the spring but decided to remain at OU.

The position at SIU wasn’t the only chancellor position she was being considered for, as Benoit was previously the sole finalist for the chancellor position at the University of Colorado Denver. As of mid-May, however, CU announced Benoit was no longer in the running, according to a previous Post report.

CU Denver President Bruce Benson said in a news release the university was unable to find a candidate with “vast support” and will continue to look for a new chancellor.

Benoit has worked as OU’s executive vice president and provost since 2009. In the 2014-15 academic year she earned $287,466.

Prior to her time at Athens, she filled the role of the University of Missouri’s vice provost of advanced studies and dean of its graduate school.

@megankhenry

mh573113@ohio.edu