Former Student Trustee Patrick Roden video-chats during the student trustee debate in Walter Hall on April 9, 2015. (FILE)

Gov. Kasich selects new student trustee

The student with the highest number of votes in Ohio University’s first student trustee election will not serve as student trustee.

Gov. John Kasich has selected Patrick J. Roden as Ohio University's new student trustee after the first student trustee election.

Evie Weir, who received the highest number of votes in April's election, was not selected for the position. 

The election was largely symbolic, as the appointment of a student trustee is ultimately the decision of the governor.

“If we want to see real shared governance at OU, we need change on campus and in the statehouse,” former Student Senate Vice President Caitlyn McDaniel said in a spring interview.

In the spring student trustee debate Roden voiced his concerns about communication between students and the Board of Trustees.

“Students can direct questions directly to me,” said Roden, a rising junior studying engineering technology and management.

Roden is the brother of former Student Trustee Amanda Roden, who served from spring 2012 to spring 2014.

Roden will serve a two year term beginning Thursday and ending May 13, 2017. Sharmaine Wilcox is the senior student trustee member.

mb076912@ohio.edu

@mayganbeeler