Ohio University students walk toward Baker Center for the Bobcat Unity Walk on Feb. 18, 2016.

Students and staff share personal stories of diversity and inclusion at first Bobcat Unity Walk

International Student Union hosted the first Bobcat Unity Walk, in which students and staff share personal stories about their own experiences with prejudice, diversity and inclusion

Tyler Fitzgerald was beaten up twice for his sexuality after arriving at Ohio University.

But he refuses to give up on OU.

“I’ve been through a lot of tough stuff here, but sitting in a room like this always gives me hope,” Fitzgerald, a freshman studying chemistry, said. “I think this school has great diversity, but there is a big silent majority of hatred here. Even if they are mean people, I don’t give up on anybody.”

Fitzgerald was one of about a dozen people who shared their stories after International Student Union’s first Bobcat Unity Walk, in which students and faculty walked from different locations on campus to Baker Ballroom to share stories about diversity and inclusion.

The Unity Walk started at 4 p.m. About 100 people met at College Gate, and about 250 people attended the event.

Drinks and snacks were served as the participants walked into Baker Ballroom.

President of International Student Union Hashim Pashtun began the event by introducing himself and sharing his story about being a Muslim and an Afghan at OU. He opened the floor for anyone to share their own stories.

One student talked about being a gay, black woman at OU growing up in a Catholic household. Two students discussed what it was like growing up with Iranian and Arabic backgrounds and how they were mistreated after 9/11.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4776b6ce-d406-11e5-b6f0-c33b7713997d"}}

Zach Reizes, a freshman studying global studies war and peace, said the attendees are the best recruiting tool for the walk and helping diversity and inclusion.

“I am a white, straight, male — so not exactly what people think of when they think diversity,” Reizes said. “When you think diversity, you think of a different country, different gender identifiers. My thought today is that I am so so so happy to be surrounded by this group of people. I’m Jewish. One thing I’ve been taught is that Judaism teaches unconditional love. I try to bring that to everything I do at Ohio University.”

Rev. Evan Young of United Campus Ministry spoke about social justice.

“Justice makes sure there is a place at the table for everyone,” Young said. “Justice is not something our leaders can do for us or provide for us. Justice is something that we expect and require to connect together.”

Young also stressed the importance of bringing friends to cultural events to “add to the ranks of people who are committed to the vision of justice we all share.”

Sidi Meyara, a Ph.D. student studying communication studies, said everybody has preconceived ideas about each other that may be wrong.

“I think this is an excellent opportunity for students to be here and talk about these issues. I think the first step is to talk about these issues,” Meyara said. “I think talking about it is the first step.”

At the end of the event, Pashtun encouraged attendees to fill out a paper and write down what they had learned. One person wrote, “I learned that all people have ‘reputations’ to protect.”

Pashtun said he was overwhelmed. Fitzgerald’s story was shocking to him, and he was happy students had the opportunity to share their stories.

“We provide the comfort zone to them,” Pashtun said. “They felt comfortable to share their story. If we can call this event successful, then make it an annual event every Founder’s Day to celebrate how we are diverse but united.”

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu