Council member Jeffrey Risner speaks on behalf of the Finance and Personal Committee at the city council meeting on August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

Council: Halloween might be closing early this year

Correction appended. Clarification appended.

Halloween festivities might be ending a bit earlier this year, due to the combined efforts of Ohio University officials, City Council and members of the Athens Clean and Safe Halloween Committee.

Brandon Thompson, a member of the committee, told council Monday that the committee will likely shut down the event's concert stages a half hour early this year, at 12:30 a.m. Previously, the performances were scheduled to end at 1 a.m., though Thompson said they usually end around 1:30 a.m.

The event is scheduled for Oct. 29.

Thompson said Ohio University officials specifically requested that change at a prior Halloween Committee meeting.

“I understand it is because of safety concerns and after meeting with the school, it makes sense,” he said.

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle believes that by closing the stage an hour earlier, the streets will be safer for students.

“We’ve noticed increases in assaults ... at times after 12:30 (a.m.) going into 3 a.m.,” Pyle said.

This is a continuing effort the city and law enforcement is taking to decrease crime at special events such as Halloween and Spring Fests. Pyle said, overall, assaults on Halloween night have decreased over the years due to changes in the organization of the event — like holding a "Honey for the Heart Parade" immediately before the block party.

“I really appreciate this," Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-at large, said of the new stage closing time. "It will make it safer for our young people.”

Thompson also requested the city close the streets down earlier, suggesting that Carpenter Street be closed off as early as 8 a.m.

He said that closing the streets later delays his team.

“Ideally, the guys would have time to set up the stage, go rest, come back and manage the stage and tear it down," he said. "Right now there is no break time.”

Thompson also said a student group or organization could hold a charitable event in the area while the streets are closed.

“That space is there, why not use it to do some good?" he said. "This school gets a bad reputation sometimes, but there are people here who want to do good. Why not set up a walk for a cure, something that's beneficial raise money for a good cause?"

Earlier in the meeting, Pyle asked council members to consider changing the language of a contract between APD and the Ohio University Police Department in order to offer more support for the campus police.

Currently, the contract states that either department can provide additional law enforcement officers to the other during "major events" in town or on campus. This year, OUPD offered four of its officers to help out while patrolling Uptown during Welcome Weekend, Pyle said.

But he said OUPD gives much more support to APD than vice versa — offering 1,000 hours worth of aid per year to APD, compared to the 300 hours worth of aid APD offers OUPD per year.

He requested that city council members add the word "major events and emergencies" to the conditions under which the departments can provide aid, which he said will allow APD to offer support in more cases.

The current contract is set to expire Oct. 25.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the date of the Halloween block party. It is being held Oct. 29. The story has been updated to show the most accurate information.

Clarification: A former version of this article did not state that the Halloween Block Party concert stages were scheduled to shut down at 1 a.m. in previous years, despite the fact that they often shut down at 1:30 a.m. The article has been updated to include the most accurate information.

be278114@ohio.edu

@BrookEndale