Ohio's Allie Curry shoots the ball during a game against Dayton on Sunday, August 21, 2016, at Chessa Field. Ohio beat Dayton 2-1. (ALEX DRIEHAUS | DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY)

Soccer: Coach calls Sunday's win biggest of his Ohio career

In 2015, it took Ohio four matches to score a goal. It also took six games to win.

Flash-forward to 2016, and Ohio split its opening weekend with a win and loss, upsetting Dayton 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at Chessa Field. Ohio fell 2-1 to Butler away on Friday.

Coach Aaron Rodgers called Sunday’s win the biggest of his four years with the program.

“Maybe the biggest win in the last six, seven, eight years for the program,” he said.

Unlike in previous seasons, where confidence was questioned with struggling results early on, the Bobcats will now have a fresh approach to a new roster.

“Honestly, it’s like (the new players have) been here the past two years,” junior forward Allie Curry said. “The chemistry on the field is really good too … we all feel really comfortable together.”

Those comfort levels were apparent when Curry and freshman midfielder Sydney Leckie scored Ohio’s two goals in the first half. Curry scored 10 seconds after she came in from a substitution.

Creative attacking chances were constantly churned out, including multiple corners, although the team failed to score off one.

“It would have been nice for us to convert one of those chances," Rodgers said. "But we made (the plays) very dangerous.

“It’s just the personality, it’s the mindset, … It’s the willingness to take the chances to score and to be dangerous. I think we lacked a little bit of that killer instinct last year, but I think we’ve found it this year.”

Having killer instincts against tougher competition is a good thing, and a foresight the Bobcats have lacked previously. 

Ohio’s schedule features some heavy-hitting teams prior to conference play — that’s no accident. Team confidence has certainly grown after getting a win over a team the Bobcats weren’t supposed to beat, the coach said.

“This was only our second game of the season and building ultimately up to the (Mid-American Conference) season, hopefully we’ll be able to start converting those,” Rodgers said.

Signup for Post Haste, our daily newsletter, to stay up to date with local news, the day's weather and uptown drink specials.

Going into next week, Curry said the team needs to keep pushing and working hard in order to have continued success in upcoming games.

“Keep winning, keep coming out strong, not stepping back, like no steps, keep moving forward, keep winning games and keep proving people wrong,” Curry said.

The Bobcats will host the High Point Panthers at 1 p.m. next Sunday at Chessa Field.

@LaurenJYoung94

ly688912@ohio.edu