Erin Franczak

ABCs of Greek Life: Why it is important to pay your Greek dues

When I first joined Sorority and Fraternity Life I was constantly ridiculed for why I wanted to join an organization where I had to "pay for friends." This question, understandably, gets me flustered and angry.

Are you a part of any organization, sport or activity on campus? I’m guessing the answer, most likely, is yes. Is it free? I can almost guarantee that most of you will say no. 

I have never personally been part of an organization that hasn’t cost some amount, but such organizations are not judged for expecting you to throw in a few quarters. Technically, if your organization has dues, you're also "paying for friends."

Unfortunately, Greek Life organizations often get mocked for their high membership fees. However, just like any other organization, these fees are justified. 

Here’ s why:

For sororities and fraternities, there are three main categories of focus: leadership, sisterhood/brotherhood and philanthropy. All three revenues are important to the bonding experience.

Most sororities have an international or national chapter that needs a continual cash flow to continue running all chapters successfully.

Sorority and Fraternity Life take leadership seriously. Every homecoming and Greek Week, there are speakers who come in and discuss leadership roles and the impact they have on all members. These speakers and the auditorium take up money. Who is going to broadcast their skills for free?

Then there’s sisterhood and brotherhood. That is the reason people say sororities are paying for friends. We have money set aside from our budgets to do fun things that help us bond, like trips to Stroud’s, ice cream socials and premiers of the newest movies at Fun Barn. Those are just a few examples, and they aren’t cheap. This is why sororities and fraternities tend to be more expensive than other organizations.

Another aspect of sisterhood and brotherhood that is interesting is most sororities and fraternities have their own house. It is beneficial to have a meeting place that is inviting and homey but it also costs money. 

Then there’s philanthropy, which is where most of the money goes. Each sorority and fraternity is associated with a specific charity. Every year they hold one or two big events to raise money for that charity like pancake breakfasts, dodge ball tournaments and bake sales. 

In short: we don’t we pay for friends. We pay for philanthropy, leadership activities and meaningful group bonding activities.

Erin Franczak is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. What organization are you in that require a fee? Let Erin know by emailing her at ef441614@ohio.edu.