Hillary Clinton listens as Sen. Sherrod Brown speaks during a Hillary Clinton event, which was part of her "Breaking Down Barriers" tour, at Jackie O's Production Brewery and Taproom on May 3. (FILE)

Voinovich School receives grant to continue University Center program

Ohio University's Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs is getting a boost in federal money to continue programs that will support rural Ohio businesses. 

A $150,000 grant from the U.S. Economic Development Administration will be split evenly between OU and Bowling Green State University. The two schools share joint oversight over the Voinovich School University Center, a program that started in 1996 intended to provide business resources and research programs to a total of 59 rural Ohio counties.

"Ohio’s colleges and universities are rich with research opportunities and facilities, faculty expertise and other resources that can benefit not just Ohio students but also our communities,” Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-OH, said. “This investment will help strengthen the partnership between Ohio University and local organizations in Athens to create and implement strategies to boost the local economy and create jobs.”

The grant was awarded to the schools to finance another five years of operation for the University Center, OU spokesman Dan Pittman said in an email. 

C.J. Epps, director of Public Affairs for the Economic Development Administration, said the grant program is "pretty competitive." About 10 grants are awarded for the purpose of university centers per year.

Most university centers work with local governments and nonprofits to develop economic programs, according to the Economic Development Administration's website. The centers are required to spend a majority of their resources on organizations in economically distressed areas.

@wtperkins

wp198712@ohio.edu