Athens Mayor Steve Patterson, center, presides over a Halloween press conference Monday afternoon.

More officers to patrol Halloween Block Party this year in light of 'national tension'

With the Halloween Block Party on Saturday, police in Athens are getting ready for more than just large crowds and crazy parties.

In a news conference Monday afternoon, Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said police in Athens were preparing for potential terroristic threats in light of recent national tension.

“We have a heightened awareness of security given national events regarding terrorist acts,” Pyle said. “We will have more police officers in what we call overwatch positions just to monitor suspicious activity."

Pyle clarified no specific threats have been made regarding the block party, but the Athens Police Department was looking to take a proactive approach toward potential terrorism.

“If you see suspicious activity, you can report it by calling 911, calling the police dispatch number or by grabbing any of the around-100 police officers that will be on the street,” he said. “It’s very important that if you see something, you say something.”

Pyle said the key to avoiding trouble during Halloween partying is to be respectful to law enforcement officers.

“The best way to avoid law enforcement attention is just to not draw it to you,” he said.

Ron Lucas, deputy service safety director, said parking on the streets will close at around 6 a.m., and the streets will close a few hours later.

“Court Street and the surrounding areas, probably College (Street) and Congress (Street), will be closing down at 10 a.m. (Saturday) to allow the stages to be constructed,” Lucas said. “The closure will go from 10 a.m. to until we are done cleaning, which will be between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m.”

Athens Fire Chief Rob Rymer said the most important thing to do during the party is to stay safe and alert.

“Be aware of your surroundings,” he said. “Be responsible. Be respectful.”

@LeckroneBennett

bl646915@ohio.edu