Ohio junior wide receiver Sebastian Smith hauls in a touchdown reception on the first drive of the game against Kent State on Nov. 10, 2015. (FILE)

Football: X's and O's: A breakdown of the Kent State defense

Kent State's defense, by all accounts, isn't anything special.

But looking deeper at the Golden Flashes' schedule, there might be more substance than originally thought.

They've lost twice to Power Five schools, Alabama and Penn State, and allowed 48 and 33 points in those games, respectively. 

Ranked 47th and 48th in passing and rushing respectively, the numbers are a bit lopsided when taking the numbers from both games in effect. 

Still, the Kent State defense, as coach Frank Solich said Monday, is no joke.

Breakdown

Thankfully, people care too much about college football in the South, so I found a 30-minute condensed game of Kent State and Alabama from week four. Thanks, SEC fans!

It should be noted that Alabama was, and is, the No. 1 team in the country. Kent State was at an obvious disadvantage in speed, size and strength.

But nonetheless, Kent State's defense remains the same today.

At 1:07, the Golden Flashes line up in a 4-2-5 to stop the Crimson Tide offensive attack. The 4-2-5 is something the Bobcats have seen over the past few weeks since the start of MAC play. 

The 4-2-5 is designed to put more athletes on the field for the defense, to give the unit more team speed. The Golden Flashes use No. 12, Najee Murray, in that spot. 

The 5-foot-9 redshirt senior is a transfer from Ohio State and typically plays in the slot. The Golden Flashes name that the "Apache" position. 

Alabama lines up in the offset shotgun with the tight end as a flanker –– a formation that the Bobcats typically run out of.

Jalen Hurts, the Crimson Tide quarterback, takes the snap and runs to the short side of the field  –– the opposite side of Murray and the strength of the defense. Hurts fakes the handoff up the middle and hits the sideline behind his lead blocker, the tight end. The middle linebacker for the Golden Flashes blitzes up the middle, creating a 2-on-3 disadvantage for them. 

With the big tight end in front of him, Hurts scores easily from 20 yards out to give Alabama a 6-0 lead. 

Judgement

It's easy to look at the film and see Goliath running over David.

But Kent State's defense is stronger than people might think. With three All-MAC players on the unit, the Golden Flashes are clearly talented.

And with the problems Ohio might have at quarterback, Kent State might have enough firepower to send Ohio back to Athens reeling. 

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu