Firefighters view the damage of Kismet, a clothing boutique on Union Street, after it was affected by the fire in November 2014. (FILE)

Union Street fire investigation still open after two years

Although it has been two years since a fire destroyed six businesses on West Union Street, the investigation is still open.

On Nov. 16, 2014, a fire devastated West Union street and initially displaced nearly 40 Ohio University students. At the time, the cause of the fire could not be determined. According to the Ohio State Fire Marshal, that is still the case.

“The case is still open,” Lindsey Burnworth, a spokeswoman for the Ohio State Fire Marshal, said. “No cause has been determined.”

John Paszke, former Athens code director said at the time that the fire began at 16 W Union St. where Kismet, a clothing boutique that was destroyed in the fire, was located.

Meredith Allen, who was a manager at Kismet, said she didn’t believe the fire started in Kismet.

“I’ve heard some people say that, but as far as I know they weren’t sure where it started,” Allena co-owner of Honey, a lingerie shop that opened across the street in 2015, said. “It either started behind our building or another building adjacent to us. I hope that it wasn't on purpose. I hope that it wasn't arson. I can't imagine that it would be.”

Allen said because it has been two full years since the fire, the investigation is becoming irrelevant.

“It’s been two years, the building is totally gone,” Allen said. “I don’t think it matters what started it anymore. It’s all gone.”

Burnworth said the case has remained open so investigators can be thorough and explore all possible outcomes.

“The way our bureau works, it’s not unusual for a case to be open this long,” Burnworth said. “It may seem like a long time, but cases can be open for years. In a case like this where the cause hasn’t been determined, it helps to keep it open so we can actively pursue the case and protect the integrity of the case.”

Mary Cheadle, whose business “Uptown Dog” was destroyed and rebuilt across the street after the fire, said she can understand why some people, particularly insurance companies that covered the damage, would want the case to remain open.

“Ultimately the insurance companies had to cover the losses for each of us individually,” Cheadle said. “I suppose that they would be due some refunds from whoever might be liable in the situation.”

She added that she didn't think the blaze was a result of arson, but that she is empathetic toward anyone who might be charged with negligence if the investigation leads to a culprit. 

"I feel for whoever might have unintentionally caused all of this damage to students and businesses," she said.

Cheadle said she has removed herself from the investigation and expressed a desire to move forward with life rather than dwelling in the past.

“I’ve not even made myself aware of the progress (in the investigation),” Cheadle said. “After having to move and rebuild, I’ve just tried to go forward and not look back.”

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu

Clarification: This article has been updated to clarify that clarify where John Paszke said the fire began and that 40 students were temporarily displaced from their homes.