Kayla Beard is a senior studying journalism at Ohio University.

What Would You Wear: Fashion reincarnate — the beauty of thrifting

My roommate’s closet is like a bottomless vat of spunk and sexiness. Every time I see her, I find myself wondering where she finds these clothes — vintage jumpsuits, sleek velvet dresses, colorful shawls — and how I could attain such a diverse and interesting wardrobe for myself. And, almost every time I ask her, “Where did you get that?” Vivian Thomas is sure to reply, “From the thrift store.”

Say what you will about Macklemore, but he was on to some real wisdom when he said “One man’s trash, that’s another man’s come up.” In fact, “Thrift Shop” perfectly explains why thrifting is so “f---ing awesome” and should be the anthem for anyone styling on a budget. For college students especially, the farther we can make a dollar stretch, the better. 

Vivian has gone thrifting in shops all over Athens, and she never fails to come home with cool stuff, including her favorite jean jacket, some timeless jewelry and lots of awesome knick knacks.

As far as fashion is concerned, the thing that makes thrift stores really interesting is the variety of styles and the uniqueness of each shop. 

“Different thrift stores definitely have different things to offer because different people are donating to each,” Vivian said. 

No two thrift stores will have the same exact clothes in stock. This is great for people who like to build a unique look.

Thrift shopping is the best, and maybe the most fun, way to hand-select quality pieces to shape your own look. And as most places carry options from a variety of decades, thrifting is the best way to find vintage items for bargain prices (aside from straight hand-me-downs). 

“The styles are definitely usually older unless you go to, like, Plato's Closet,” Vivian said. “That's really fun for me because I like finding bits and pieces to create my own style.”

I have done my share of thrift shopping and struck gold in some of the unlikeliest of places. At a small thrift shop in Troy, Ohio, I found one of my favorite summer pieces: a bright blue denim skirt. At Goodwill’s all over the country, I’ve found everything from khakis and polos for school, to dress shoes and button-downs for work, to everyday pieces that express my individual style in ways I didn’t formerly think possible.

Not only is thrifting an easy way to diversify your wardrobe, it’s an even easier way to make your wardrobe more sustainable and could even decrease your total waste. Donating old clothes to thrift stores, as opposed to throwing them out, keeps unnecessary waste out of landfills.

Thrift shops foster fashion creativity while promoting sustainable practices, but the main reason Macklemore dedicated a hit song to them is for their economic benefit. Donating clothes that are still in good condition is a good way to cut down on closet clutter, but it also allows your clothes another life in someone else’s wardrobe.

Back-to-school shopping is often a struggle, especially when a college student budget is all you have to work with. Shopping at thrift stores is a good way to maximize the value of a paycheck, whether you’re looking for new shoes or plates for your apartment. 

The key, ultimately, is to take your time. Don’t go to the thrift store in a rush. 

“Be patient … and don't be discouraged if you don't find a lot. Not every trip is a great haul,” Vivian said.

Kayla Beard is a senior studying journalism with a focus in web design at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you feel about thrifting? Let Kayla know by tweeting her @QKayK.