Ohio redshirt junior running back Dorian Brown (#28) looks to evade the tackle of two Tennessee players during their game on Saturday, September 17 at Neyland Stadium.

Football: Running back depth already being tested just weeks before Signing Day

Last Friday, Ohio had the deepest running back corps in the Mid-American Conference — that wasn't up for debate. 

But for coach Frank Solich and staff, everything now is up for debate.

Maleek Irons was arrested Saturday morning for a DUI, then once-top commit Morgan Ellison de-commited Monday. In just 48 hours, Ohio's running back position went from unquestioned strength, to huge question mark. 

Ellison received an offer from Indiana, and Ohio State has been in contact with him in the past few weeks. While he only de-committed, it would take a miracle for Ellison to re-commit to the Bobcats. As for Irons, it's now fair to question if he'll have his spot on the team.

With the Irons question mark hovering around the offense, the team only has three other scholarship running backs — A.J. Ouellette, who will be returning from a season-ending foot injury, Dorian Brown and Papi White. 

White, however, is not a traditional running back, as he spends the majority of his time in the slot as a receiver, or offset in the backfield, taking pitches outside.

For a position group that had every running back hurt at one point or another, this isn't welcome news. Ohio ran the ball on 53.36 percent of its offensive plays last season, and in utilizing a backfield with more than one running back in a formation, the need for another running back is now huge. There isn't a Bo Hardy on the roster anymore to switch back to running back if need be, either. 

It's unclear as to what Ohio's plan is moving forward in recruiting. But with Brown heading toward his redshirt senior year and Ouellette and White their redshirt junior years, the Bobcats could fall behind in running back depth for future seasons.

Incoming freshmen KJ Minter and Willie Cherry both were solid offensive weapons in high school, but both would have to be converted to the position full time. 

The Bobcats currently have eight scholarships offered to running backs left across the country, including Ellison. Expect Ohio to put the pressure on those backs that are left in the market. 

The Bobcats will probably need a running back that can eat carries and yards next season, so Solich and his staff will have to find one soon. Time is running out. 

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu